Need Advise - going out of town

daisywb

I need some advise. I have to go out of town for 10 days the week after next. What should I do with my fish? I am new to my area and don't know anyone who can come in and feed them while I'm gone. What about an automatic fish feeder? Does anyone have any experience with them?
Would I be out of line to offer my lfs money to take care of my fish if I bring them in (I have 2 false percs, cherub angel, and cleaner shrimp)?
I've even thought about driving back home every few days to feed them. I guess that will be my last resort since it's a nice 6 hour trek from San Franciso to Los Angeles LOL :)
Anywho, I'd really love any advise or tips you could give! Thanks so much :D
-Daisydoo

nacl-h2o

Your fish would survive 10 days without food if there well feed fish, but if it would make you feel better drive back half way through to feed them and check on the tank..

pancho

WELL YOUR FISH WON'T STARVE TO DEATH BUT I WOULDN'T ADVISE LETTING THEM GO HUBGRY FOR 10 DAYS EITHER. I'M NOT SURE WHAT YOU FEED THEM BUT IF YOU LIKE YOU CAN PUT GHOST SHRIMP IN THE TANK AND THE FISH CAN FEED OFF OF THEM FOR A FEW DAYS. IF NOT CONSIDER TAKING THEM TO A LFS.

ckkihei

Ther fish will be fine for 10 days.....I would not take them to your lfs for them to care for. The stress of moving them and the stress caused by the different water would be too dangerous. You migh try clipping some small pieces of dried algae sheets to the sides of the tank to let them graze from time to time.

shawnsghost

I have used a auto feeder on all 4 of my salt tanks and use these all the time on my fresh tank and think they work great. If you buy one just be sure and get one that you can controll the amount of food dispensed. better to under-feed a little than over feed. Just IMO

broomer5

Auto feeders work well, although if you have an overflow and feed flakes, you need to take in considerations a couple things.
As the autofeeder sequences to the next feeding, the flake food drops to the surface, and a good deal of it floats right over to the sufrace skimmer and is pulled into the overflow/prefilter.
10 days of this repeated waste of food can become entrapped on the sponge prefilter - and can get quite nasty.
You can make a small food "corral" out of floating styrofoam or other material, that floats under the spot the food drops, and is scured in place.
This allows the flake food as it falls to the surface to stay in the tank, and the fish will come up to this "enclosed" feeding area and eat the food.
I've used this method for extended periods and it works fine. As mentioned - less food is better than overfeeding.
Evaporation and topping off the tank with freshwater is another concern besides feeding.
10 days is pretty long, and I know if I went that long with out a freshwater top off - my tank would suffer.
All depends on one's evaporation rate I suppose.