Need advise on salt level and temp.

sultan1

I have a 55 fish only tank. What is the optimum temp to keep my tank at? What about salt content?
Any advise would be appreiciated.

dburr

I keep mine at 79 degrees and 1.024/1.025 on the salanity.
Get the temp first because the reading of the salanity will be different at different temps. Does that make sense?
HTH

vickilee

I keep my temp around 77 if I can. The only time I would try to keep it higher is if I had a flame angle, who prefer warmer temps.
Salinity is a bit tricky to say as it depends on who you have living in the tank. Normally salinity can be anywhere between 1.020 to 1.023, but I have puffers and they are prone to ick and I have found if I keep the salinity at the lower level of normal rather then the upper end they do not get ick.

diceman

If you are keeping inverts your SG needs to be closer to 1.025 . They will die if your under 1.023. for fish your ok between 1.020 - 1.025

fshhub

temp 82-83(wish i could keep it at 79-80) all is good, but i can maintain it at 82(which does not even fluctuate 2 degrees from day to night)
sg 1.025+(but not 6)

cadbury

Stupid question? Has anyone HERE ever taken a Hydrometer to the ocean to see what it would read??? Just curious?

dburr

In CT it reads 1.019, the temp is colder than it would be on a reef. I didn't check the temp, but I think it might of been between 55 -65 deg.
Why do you ask?
DBurr

buzz

My temp is 82. I used to stay between 77-79, but I found the tank does better a few degrees warmer.
SG 1.023.

kev

Cadbury
I almost did that when I went to Florida not too long ago, but I forgot it... :mad: I'm curious on that issue too!

cadbury

I was just curious, we always here about the ideal levels, I was just wondering how that level I guess became justified. I went to Disvovery Cove (Orlando, Florida) about 2 months ago and I had a few questions in regards to their facility and it was actually kinda funny. The careaters could'nt even tell me what the level was of what they keep their facility at......Long story short....just curious.