Need an ID on a very interestin hitchhiker!!!

coolguy818

This is a great hitchhiker to have...... But i want to know exactly how great.
On the second picture you'll see the SPS on the side of the Clam... Then you'll see closeups........

coolguy818

My old friend teen....... How you been.
That is also what I thought..... Looks like its in pretty bad condition. Hopefully I can nurse it back to health....
What about the first picture? Superman Monti? Sunset Monti? or just a plain old Monti?

teen

the first one could be a sunset, but i doubt its the real deal if you got it from a lfs. it should be orange with green polyps. its almost there, but not quite. most likely a maricultured piece.
and i believe its pocilliporas that commonly spawn in tanks (either that or stylophoras). some of them get to be a problem, sorta like GSP in a reef tank. when these corals spawn, they pop up litterally everywhere in a tank, and thsta most likely what happened here. then the coral just started growing on the clam shell.

coolguy818

Originally Posted by teen
the first one could be a sunset, but i doubt its the real deal if you got it from a lfs. it should be orange with green polyps. its almost there, but not quite. most likely a maricultured piece.
and i believe its pocilliporas that commonly spawn in tanks (either that or stylophoras). some of them get to be a problem, sorta like GSP in a reef tank. when these corals spawn, they pop up litterally everywhere in a tank, and thsta most likely what happened here. then the coral just started growing on the clam shell.
The first Monti, is actually avery small piece, about the size of a Nickel.