Need Comments on Package at LFS

kevinf

Hey guys! I just picked up the specs sheet of the reef package that my LFS is offering. I'd like your comments on the prices, the gear, and if anything is missing.
90 Gal AGA Tank /w Oak Cabinet and hood: $1039.20
20L With Inserts Sump $62.99
Rio 2100 Pump $54
Maxijet 1200 (2) $72
SV200 or Sealife Skimmer $199.99
(4-4' Bulbs) Ice Cap System (retro) Lighting $400
200 Watt Tronic Heater $36
Hydrometer $11.70
100g Instant Ocean Salt $41.4
88 lbs Fiji LR@$4.99/lb $439.12
80 lbs Agaronite $72
Drilling, Bulkhead, Overflow, Return $60
You get a 10% discount of all access if you buy the tank and cab so the total for the equipment would be $1304.
All together: $2343
I'm curious as to why there's no LS. Also, the prices seem a bit high compared to stuff I've seen on the net.
Comments????
Thanks!!!
Kevin

ajwaters

I bought the tank & stand with hood (not canopy) for $300 at my lfs. I don't think I would pay over $1000 just for the tank. And if that is marked high then probably everything else is also JMO

slothy

ya that tank/stand seems a tad high in price.. unless its some super duper custom with all the bells and whistles
you will prob want 200lbs+ plus of sand for dsb. ( i have 80lbs in my 40)
and get a differnt return pump rio's just suck (mags work well)

kevinf

The stand is pretty nice. Nice wood and solid construction. Still not too sure it's worth the price.

gregzbobo

2 Maxijets for 72 dollars? They are available on another website other than swf.com for 21 bucks a piece. Not a bad price for the live rock though, compared to the prices around where I live. They are also asking too much for the heater. swf.com has a Sealife Systems NV75 skimmer for 95 dollars, I have heard its a decent starter skimmer, have no experience with it though. Sounds like a decent price for the aragonite too. And AGA drills their own tanks at the factory and installs an overflow box, its not an extra service that lfs's provide. I paid about 450 for my 65 gal AGA with the overflow setup, a nice pine stand and canopy, the glass covers. Had to pay about 20 bucks for the plumbing kit in the overflow though. Is the cabinet the pine one with the oak color stain? Or is it an actual OAK stand? If its real oak, that may be why it costs so much. The pine stand has not given me any probs at all in the several years I've had it, but then, it doesn't have nearly half a ton of water and aquarium on it like your stand will. But personally I think they are definitely overcharging you for the tank/stand/canopy, and for the powerheads and perhaps the skimmer. And I have only heard BAD things about RIO pumps.

shoer

dont waste your hard earned cash... that is crazy amounts to pay for the tank and stand. .. i think you can do much better..

kevinf

Thanks for the help guys. You've confirmed whhat I suspected. So next question. I live in Raleigh, NC. Can you recemmend a descent store within a 200 mile radius. I wouldn't be apposed to buying on-line but I think the shipping would be unreasonable.
Thanks!!!!

gregzbobo

Pretty much everything except the aragonite and tank would be pretty reasonable online. Might get your lr from your local store too, 4.99 a pound is FAIRLY average online, and a heck of a deal at a lfs especially if its good looking rock. Cuz you get to see what you are buying.