Need drilling advice/help please

lsboogie

I am setting up a 20L (this will be my first reef attempt
) I found that my local glass shop with drill the tank for me but I have a few questions. SHould I center the drain and return lines or have them on opposite sides of tank? On a standard 20L glass tank is the bottom glass tempered? WHat size do I need to have the holes drilled?
Sorry for all the questions, thank you in advance.

scopus tang

Originally Posted by LSBoogie
http:///forum/post/3241684
I am setting up a 20L (this will be my first reef attempt
) I found that my local glass shop with drill the tank for me but I have a few questions. SHould I center the drain and return lines or have them on opposite sides of tank? On a standard 20L glass tank is the bottom glass tempered? WHat size do I need to have the holes drilled?
Sorry for all the questions, thank you in advance.
Question #1 Depends on what you are trying to accomplish. Generally I have the hole for the overflow drilled in the upper left corner of the tank. I don't have them drill for the return, that way I can move the return around as needed.
Question #2 depends on many factors, including the tank manufacturer; but generally yes.
Question #3 depends on the size of the bulkheads that you are installing, which should be determined by the size of the lines you wish to run. Personally I prefer 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" overflows and 3/4" return lines.