Need electrical help

justilorah

ok . i am planning on wiring my stand to house all of my resepticals for my 180. But i dont want to run off the fuse and wiring from my living room, so i went to the fuse box and i have a spare 220v line in the fuse box that was to my stove but i have a gas stove now.. And i was wondering if this would work i read that you can make 220-110 by only connecting one of the hot poles.. if this is true then can i connect another line to the opposite pole for an additional 110v?

scsinet

A stove is a 120/240v circuit (as opposed to a 240v only circuit) so yes, you should be able to run two 120v receptacles off the line.
Were you planning to do this yourself or hire and electrician?
You need to take a look at the wires. Take the cover off your breaker panel (be very careful and call an electrician if you are uncomfortable, standard speech applies) and follow the wires connecting to your stove's breaker back to where the wire enters the box. Answer me the following questions:
- How many wires are in the cable? You'll probably find one of these (black/red/white/green or bare, black/black-with-red-stripe/bare, or black/white/bare)
- What are the colors?
Also look closely where the wires connect to the lugs on the breaker. You should see a small bit of exposed wire. Tell me, is the wire copper colored or silver/aluminum colored?

justilorah

i am gonna do it myself i rewired my whole house myself, and i was just wondering about that because it is already there and existing. but i am gonna have a friend of mine come and help me he is the master electrician where we work..

scsinet

Well then there is no reason for me to give you instruction on how to do it.

More than likely your stove used a neutral line as well as the two hot legs, so you can therefore run (2) circuits with it. You simply run romex from your tank to the stove's receptacle, remove the receptacle, and splice the romex to the stove's cable using some very large wire nuts. That is unless of course the stove used aluminum cable, in which case you'll need to use special AL-CU connectors. Then all you'll need to do is swap the breakers out with 2 single pole breakers sized to the romex size you used to run to your tank.
Remember to use GFIs.

justilorah

definetly gfci's i am gonna have him help more for the small lights i want to install in the stand for the sump/fuge.. and also to make it easier to work on anything in the sump ..because i will be able to see... and the wires are all copper...i just went and double checked..