Need electrical help

nel621

I ran two 15 amps circuits from my sub-panel for my 125g. i have 2 gfci outlets.Everything has been working fine for about a year.Today I come home and noticed that one circuit had tripped. I unplugged the multi strip that was on it and I re-set the breaker and it would not stay on.The breaker is a twin 15 amp.I then switched on then off both breakers. Now they both don't stay on.I had to run an extension cord to power everything while I try to figure this out.So,is it a bad breaker and maybe get 2 new separate ones or did the gfcis' go bad?Need some advice.thanks
Nelson

nel621

Note one circuit has one power head,skimmer pump,2 heaters,small light for under cabinet.Second circuit has one heater,2 powers heads and the return pump.I have yet to install my lights about another 400 watts.

mkzimms

sounds to me like the breaker is faulted, although it could be a short in the circuit. im thinking if its a twin breaker and it is controlling two different circuits that it would be pretty rare that both developed a short. i would replace the breaker and monitor closely. if it happens again, call an electrician to test your lines.

wattsupdoc

If everything is unplugged and the breaker trips, you have a fault in the circuit somewhere. If you are using a 2 pole breaker, with one handle that controls to "breaker". Remove that and replace it with 2 single pole breakers. That is not the correct way to protect your circuits. Also if it is a 2 pole, one circuit may be faulted, the other clean. When you reset a breaker, be sure to turn it all the way to the off position, then turn it back on. With everything unplugged and it still trips, then the fault is in the line. Most Likely not a bad GFI causing it. But could be something in the box like two wire touching AT the GFI location. My first suspect would be there.

nel621

The breaker is a space saving one.So it has 2 seperate switches on it but is the size[height] of a regular single breaker.As I said before everytrhing ran fine for a year.

ibew41

I replace these type of breakers all the time if 1 side goes it takes out the other most of the time.get 2 single breakers turn off the main and replace them,also can you find the amprage that you are drawing on the circuits?

scsinet

I assume you installed this circuit yourself, so you are therefore comfortable working inside a panelboard.
You may consider first removing the hot wires from the breaker entirely and toggling them back on. If the handles do not hold with the wires disconnected, you clearly have a faulty breaker.
If it holds just fine, then I'd suggest you start looking for an electrical fault someplace in your wiring.

nel621

Originally Posted by IBEW41
http:///forum/post/2875559
I replace these type of breakers all the time if 1 side goes it takes out the other most of the time.get 2 single breakers turn off the main and replace them,also can you find the amprage that you are drawing on the circuits?
i can only find 20 amp breakers that are single.the 15 amp one will not work in the panel

nel621

Originally Posted by SCSInet
http:///forum/post/2875654
I assume you installed this circuit yourself, so you are therefore comfortable working inside a panelboard.
You may consider first removing the hot wires from the breaker entirely and toggling them back on. If the handles do not hold with the wires disconnected, you clearly have a faulty breaker.
If it holds just fine, then I'd suggest you start looking for an electrical fault someplace in your wiring.
so I went to local HD and got a new breaker,same type double 15 amp.went to the box and figured just try and reset before taking it apart.Here is the duh part.I noticed I was actually turning off the breakers instead of turning them on.Don't do things late at night when your tired.eveything seems to working ok.Just a note ,I did consult an electrician before doing the original work so everything is up to code.

scsinet

That's good news!
Wiring that is up to code can still have a fault. It wasn't a knock on your work.

nel621

I didn't take it as a knock.I appreciate ALL input.I don't know the name of the panel box.When the electrician installed it he put 2 20 amp beakers and ran a couple of circuits for me in the garage. the breakers are GE 20 amp.When I went to the depot to get new 15 amp breakers I looked at the GE brand but the connection on the back was different than mine.So I just got a new double 15 amp with 2 switches.If something happens again I have a spare to use.