NEED EXPERIENCED ADVICE

hunterdaddy

I am probably going to purchase some items for my new (2 week old tank) this weekend. I am however on a limited budget.
I need lights, at least one powerhead, more LR a test kit and I think that is it.
What should I get in order of importance for a reef tank?
55 gallon 4 inch dead sand bed. 3 lbs live rock
2 whisper side hanging filters
regular fish tank lights
1 domino damsel
THANKS IN ADVANCE

nyy fan

I don't know about the other stuff, but if your tank is cycled (only a test kit will say), and you don't plan on keeping him, get rid of that damsel while you don't have tons of LR to chase him around.
Other than that...I would say lighting and go from there.

fishfreek

IMO, i would get the propper test kits 1st, and add more live rock, 2nd. You should have the followng very basic test kits: ammonia, nitrite, pH and nitrate. You can find these on line or at LFS in a single master kit for $15 or so. You can add a 5 lbs piece of live rock per week or so to your tank. That is what i did, its a little easier in the pocket book that way and you won't cause an ammonia spike adding 5 lbs at a time. :)
When i started out, i started much like you. Started with a hang on filter basic lights. For equiptment, soon you will need to add a power head for good circulation. I reccomend 1-2 maxi-jet 900's. They are good dependable power heads that are not too expensive. As far as the lights go, you can hold off a while till you decide you (and your tank) are ready to try some easier corals. What type of light and how many are you currently running in your tank?

deltron3030

i dont think you would needs light yet IMO, i got lights for my tank in the begining and i still dont use em ( my tank is 2 months old)because my tank isnt mature enough to handle corals of anysort, but if i were you i would get a test kit,a lot of lr and a power head. thats what i think though. hth byebye :D

hunterdaddy

I am running just regular aquarium lights. Nothing special to tell the truth I dont know what exactly they are. Just plain old lights. There is a starter for them and there MIGHT be a ballast in the hood but I doubt it. I know i need new lights eventually. Well from what I am hearing so far a power head and some live rock this weekend. Any other ideas?? Maybe a blue leg crab or 2??

fishfreek

Don't froget the test kits! As far as the lights you are using, it should say on the light itself what the wattage is and who makes it. If you are only running one tube right now, i would switch it to a 50/50 type light bulb (50% actinic & 50% day) or get a 10,000k light in the next few weeks. :)

hunterdaddy

I didnt think i needed test kits untill I start putting fish in the tank. My LFS where I used to work and know the owner real well told me I dont have to do any water changes during the cycle. I worked fresh water side. He does free water tests whenever I go in there as well as the other store I use for fresh water. (water tests) Ok any more opinions??
U guys rock

ren

Just my $.02 here:
1st test kits - might want to look into investing in a refractometer too.
2nd Lighting - everything need lighting even coraline to grow. If your tank balances to the low wattage and you go up you'll most likely be battling algea blooms then again.
3rd LR
4th - overlooked but a QT. I can guarentte you that you will wish ya had if not starterd now.
HTH

kappadoku

Live rock. What good is a test kit if you dont cycle from not having anough live rock? You dont really need to test untill your 6 weeks out, you can just assume amm is up, trites are up, and trates are non-existant.
Every time you add live rock, you WILL get at least a minimal cycle. The more you add, the larger the cycle. Add as much as you can now, and let the sand bed catch up to it.