Need Expert Feeding Opinions

spartanph

I have an 85 gallon reef with the following inhabitants.
1 Kole Tang 4"
1 Foxface Rabbit Fish 3"
2 False Percs 2"
5 Blue Green Chromis 1-1 1/2"
1 Cleaner Shrimp
3-5 Peppermint Shrimp
2 Emerald Crabs
Couple Dozen assorted hermits
Two-Three Dozen assorted snails
Corals Are
Very Large Finger Leather
Pink Pulsing Xenia Colony
Green Star Polyp Colony
6 Head Candy Cane
Bubble Coral
Branching goniapora
Various mushrooms
440 watts of VHO lighting.
Currently we feed once a day a variety of items.
Frozen Formula 2, Frozen Prime Reef, Frozen Brine Shrimp, Seaweed Sheets, Omega One Super Veggie Kelp Flakes, and Spectrum Thera+A Pellets.
We don't have a set schedule but usually they get 3 cubes of frozen twice a week, 2-3 seaweed sheets a week and flakes or pellets the other days.
The reason I ask is we have off an on battled red slime. Although I know how to clear it by limiting feeding and light. Changing water and water flow. Etc...
I would like to do what I can to stop it from coming back.
And I want to ensure my fine finned friends are getting the nutrition they need.
Thanks for your help.

dmjordan

you will need to cut back on the amount of food you feed during each feeding. and you realy don't need to feed everyday. i feed my fish every 2 to 3 days either 1/2 of a cube of frozen food (thawed and rinsed) or small amout of flakes.
you also need to test the new water and top off water for nitrates and phosphates.
IMO you are a little on the heavily stocked side which will also cause algae problems.

ejensen

I feed my fish twice a day every day. Try fighting red slim with more flow and get a phosephate reactor.

spartanph

I don't want this to turn into a how to fight slime post. I'm more interested in the proper nutrition part of feeding.

reefkprz

the list of foods you have put up is mostly excellent. I would stop using the brine. (thats just my opinion) I think there are far better foods to feed, and you have a bunch of them. the best way to ensure they are all gettting everything they need is to cycle through your foods, feed just one one day then another the next and go through them that way, that way if the fish want to eat that day they have to eat whats offered. ensuring they get the greatest variety, instead of filling up on one food type then snubbiong the next. its not a gaurantee but with the food list you have honestly I dont think you could malnourish your fish if you tried. (unless you fed nothing but the nutritionally void brine)