Need help catching damsels

puffer9006

one way is to get it when it wakes up when thier half asleep they dont seem to move as fast.you can try to get it when its feeding to. but their are fish traps but i dont really no how the work.

supalupa

Tried to snatch one up when it was eating some flake food on the surface of the water but missed. Now they just hide when I approach the tank.
Just want to get them out of the tank and give them back to the lfs. All they do is dig and fight.

puffer9006

ya their pretty fast but try to get it when your sleeping or just woke up just try to creep up on the tank. about the digging i think its cool when my damsel started digging under my live rock. im worry the rock might fall on him if thier to much weight on it though. try to put the food in the coner so you can try to trap them if they come out of hideing

psusocr1

borrow a lionfish from your LFS
thats how i got mine out!! well i didnt borrow the fish i bought him but you get the point!!

supalupa

I like the lionfish suggestion very original. One of them seems to hide in one corner. He is the punching bag. Will probably try to net him first. Tried something I heard and cut the top off a soda bottle with some brine shrimp inside but all I caught was a nassarius snail.

bailey52

You should get a small hang on clear container the LFS hang on the tank when they are netting your fish... you can use that as a block for the fish to get into your net.. it is clear and very hard for them to see so you can get him easier.. my LFS tought me that!

kingspade

i would say stick a cattle prod in there put off about a 5 second shock and he should float right to the top

I hope you guys know that was a JOKE beofre i get slammed

romeo

Get a fish trap. My lfs rented me one for 2 bucks a day. It has a sliding door on it which I had to hold up with monofilament until the fish went in after the bait, then simply let go of the line. The trap is made of clear acrylic. Just bait it with their favorite food and be patient. I caught a clown wrasse and a small trigger at the same time! I wanted to trade them both anyway!

zsalinas

Agreed see if you can borrow a fish trap. My lfs let me borrow theirs for free. I caught the fish within 15 minutes.

viet-tin

You can always make your own trap. I took a 2 liter bottle and cut a flap door on the side. Stuck some foo inside and put it in the tank. I was able to catch all my fish which makes it a hassle since you only want 1. Fish swim in close the flap door and pull him out. Took me less than 5 mins to catch a kole tang and a cherub angel
It may take awhile for your fish to get a little confortable with the container and your hand inside the tank.

mrdc

Originally Posted by Zsalinas
Agreed see if you can borrow a fish trap. My lfs let me borrow theirs for free. I caught the fish within 15 minutes.

I have been trying the same thing. I may look into getting a fish trap or what Doug said.