Need help choosing between new led fixture

reb

I am upgrading from a nano reef tank to a 65 gallon reef tank. I have done a lot of research trying to find the perfect led fixture that has the weather, lunar, and lightning effects. I have found either the aquaticlife 3 watt 34" wide expert series fixture for $940, or the aquailluminations vega color system which I would need two fixtures for a total cost of $1000. Any recommendations between the two or any other suggestions on a different fixture?

snakeblitz33

Are lightning effects absolutely important to you? They scare the fish and don't do the tank a bit of good... It's just "fluff" when it comes to a light.
If you can do without lightning effects, a Photon 48 (48") by ReefBreeders is a pretty good option - and with 90* optics you can grow just about ANY coral out there - even the most light demanding SPS corals. This fixture is full spectrum, three channels, it has a controller on it that you can program and moon phases. You can even customize the color combinations yourself straight from the manufacturer. I'm buying one on Monday. I should get it in a few weeks - if you want to wait for my personal review.
There are many reviews out there on this fixture - and even a thread about 40 pages long on RC about the company and the fixtures they sell. It might be something for you to look into. Also,... you would be surprised at the price tag - at $499.99 shipped!

reb

Thanks, I will check it out. The wether effects were just something different, no necessity.

goldrush

I did mucho research on LED's for my 55 reef. I settled on the Acan Lighting 600PA-18's. I got 2 of them at 499 each. The installation will be tomorrow and I'll report back with the results. I'm going to run them at 50%-75%-then 100% over a 3 week period to get everything used to them. They have 7 time settings, and a 28 day lunar cycle. There is also a "lightening" mode, but it can only be set to come on every day and I don't want that. I'll use it manually once in a while. You only have to program one fixture. When you connect the "slave" fixture to the one you programmed it picks up all the settings. I've seen this light in action and it is amazing. I can't wait 'till tomorrow. Can ya tell?

ridem32

I have the AI sol blues they are great! Yes they do the storms! They have never scared my fish at all. As a matter of fact it calms my fish! I use it when ever I add a new fish! You can buy them for $299 shipped total no tax!