Need Help! Cloudy Water!

Hello, I have a situation on my hand and here it is.... so I have my 75 gallon sw tank set up and I have a biowheel power filter (emperor 400 I think), 2 heaters, 2 powerheads (an aquaclear 70 and 50 I believe) and then just the salt and water. But I ordered live rock last night and I just looked at my water about a half hour ago and it was cloudy! I also have a freshwater tank and it's 10 gallon and that water has been cloudy for awhile too.... I have no clue what to do, I'm gonna test the water tonight and see if anything looks funny... but anyone else have any advice as to what it could be? anyone that can help you have my greatest thanks. :help:

but how could I have ammonia problems in a tank with nothing but water in it? or can you? cause I didn't think it was possible but I may have just been mistaken.

reefreak29

Originally Posted by BlackBarracuda
but how could I have ammonia problems in a tank with nothing but water in it? or can you? cause I didn't think it was possible but I may have just been mistaken.
by adding new live rock u could get an ammonia spike

I don't have the live rock yet, the only thing in there is the water and all of a sudden today it has just been cloudy, I was just worried about putting the rock in while it was cloudy.

reefreak29

I don't have the live rock yet, the only thing in there is the water and all of a sudden today it has just been cloudy, I was just worried about putting the rock in while it was cloudy.
oh i see it could be the salt

I put the salt in a few days ago, but if it was the salt what would I have to do? like I said I am going to test the water later but right now I can't... I'm just trying to think of possibilities of things I could do. It just became cloudy out of nowhere that is what Idon't understand.

reefreak29

I put the salt in a few days ago, but if it was the salt what would I have to do? like I said I am going to test the water later but right now I can't... I'm just trying to think of possibilities of things I could do. It just became cloudy out of nowhere that is what Idon't understand.

can u describe every thing about your tank , temp , recirculation , did u add the sand recently , im assuming this is a brand new tank

The temp is at approximately 78 - 79 degrees, I have an Aqauclear 70 powerhead on one side and an Aquaclear 50 on the other side. The blow towards each other ( so technically opposite directions) and they both are set to blow out with the most power possible and they suck in through the bottom ( I did this because it seemed like it would give the most circulation). and I do not have sand in it yet.... it's only water.

reefreak29

The temp is at approximately 78 - 79 degrees, I have an Aqauclear 70 powerhead on one side and an Aquaclear 50 on the other side. The blow towards each other ( so technically opposite directions) and they both are set to blow out with the most power possible and they suck in through the bottom ( I did this because it seemed like it would give the most circulation). and I do not have sand in it yet.... it's only water.
i would bet at this point that it was the salt, are u using instant ocean?

I use Crystal Sea Marine Mix the lfs guy told me that is what he uses in all his tanks and he said he didn't like IO at all, but I took a little water out the other night and didn't put saltwater back in, just freshwater, could that have done it possibly? but to me nothing adds up

northreef

I just started up my 90 the other day and it was cloudy as well, it cleared a little bit each day. After three days it was still not clear so I hooked up my old canister filter with just the ceramic nuggets and some floss and within 3 - 4 hours it was clear. It worked for me.

yea all the water has been tap because I have a well at my house and my dad said we have no chlorine in the water (or we shouldn't at least)

reefreak29

yea all the water has been tap because I have a well at my house and my dad said we have no chlorine in the water (or we shouldn't at least)
oh , u should always use ro water , well water is terrible , high phosphates , iron , and other metals