Need help creating a siphon with a drip

earlybird

I'd like to stick a jug of water in my sump and have a continuous fresh water drip to help with evaporation. I've played a little with some airhose that I have and tied some knots in it but can't slow my drip. Anyone have any tips? Can I use an airline control or something and what size hose should I use?
thanks

sfoister

Originally Posted by earlybird
I'd like to stick a jug of water in my sump and have a continuous fresh water drip to help with evaporation. I've played a little with some airhose that I have and tied some knots in it but can't slow my drip. Anyone have any tips? Can I use an airline control or something and what size hose should I use?
thanks
I just tie a knot in the hose and pull it tighter to slow it down.

vpotts28

I tried it and am not happy with that as a regulator. It was either too fast or no drip at all.

You can go to the LFS and buy a valve to stick on the end of the hose. It will have a wheel/knob on there to control the flow.

earlybird

Wasn't sure how well this works. I'll give it a shot. Tweaking it will be another issue. Now that I've got a fan I'm having to add a little less than 1/2g a day. I top off at 5am and 5pm. I'd like to just fill up the jug once a day.

newtankman

thanks
Good idea; I never thought of doing that. :thinking:

darthgoby

One easy way to do a drip is to get one of the drip kits that they sell for acclimating fish. I got one online for $3-4 bucks. I has a valve which you can open or close to control the drip frequency.

earlybird

Thanks.
Now when setting this up how did you determine your drip rate? Did you test it in a seperate bucket (or something) and measure out the amount of water dripped per hour? Also, if I stick the hose in the lid of the jug do I need to create a vent hole (I'm thinking yes)?