need help deciding on fish...

cj7eagle

I have a 72 gallon bowfront reef tank. a 40 gallon sump/fuge, and a reef devil skimmer. I am trying to decide on the rest of my stock list. right now i have the following...
2 false percs
1 small hippo tang.
Down the road i want a pair of mandarins, so i dont want any fish that will make pods their main source of food. So that leaves out gobies.
I was thinking about 5 or 6 blue/green chromis, but was wondering if anyone else had any suggestions?

ice4ice

The tang will outgrow your 72G tank. They do best in tanks of at least 125 gallons or larger. Chromis are good in schools.

lesleybird

Originally Posted by cj7eagle
I have a 72 gallon bowfront reef tank. a 40 gallon sump/fuge, and a reef devil skimmer. I am trying to decide on the rest of my stock list. right now i have the following...
2 false percs
1 small hippo tang.
Down the road i want a pair of mandarins, so i dont want any fish that will make pods their main source of food. So that leaves out gobies.
I was thinking about 5 or 6 blue/green chromis, but was wondering if anyone else had any suggestions?
Have you done your homework? You cannot keep 2 mandarins in a 72 gallon. They only eat pods. Even one will run out of pods in a week in a 72 gallon and will slowly starve. The only other thing most can get them to eat is live brine shrimp and they don't have much nutrition at all and they will die from malnutrition. Maybe one in several dozen can learn to accept other aquarium food, but how many do you want to kill until you find the very rare one that will??
I agree with the other poster about the hypo tang. They need a tank that is at least 6 feet long. Best to see if you can get a colorful fairy wrasse and maybe a pygme angel or something and some type of blenny.
Lesley

with some of my past tank experiences i know a cromis is definitally the way to go i only have 1 but it has lived in my tank for about a year.they are very heardy.i would also recomend a blue & yellow damsel it was my first fish. they are fun to have wen they are smaller but when the get big and old they become kind of aggressive.how long have you had your tank.well good luck and have fun