need help deciding on uv lamp

runn3rb3an

I've been trying to decide on whether or not to get a uv light for my 90 and then move it to a 240. So is it possible to have a unit that would work for both a 90 and a 240?
I don't really see any negative effects that it would have on a FOWLR with a fuge?
Also how does this effect ick? I know it kills the free floating stuff but after the ick runs its cycle and the fish is still alive will it ever completley get rid of it?
Any other advantages and disadvantages that go along with a FOWLR tank?
Thanks!

aquaknight

If want one for the 240 that you'll use for the 90 for a bit, sure, like a skimmer, it's hard to over-do. You'll need at least a 40watt'er for the 240.
As I've noted in many UV threads, the only negative to a UV, hold a specific nutrient rich tank (sponge or sea apple or something), is price/maintanance. I find the 'ability' of the UV to kill beneficial algae greatly overhyped.
It's affect on Marine Ich is that it kills probably 5%. The only real benefit to a UV, is algae control. Which is what they were designed to do (they adaption from pond use). For a FOWLR/Fish-Only, UV's certainly can help.

runn3rb3an

Originally Posted by AquaKnight
http:///forum/post/3157630
If want one for the 240 that you'll use for the 90 for a bit, sure, like a skimmer, it's hard to over-do. You'll need at least a 40watt'er for the 240.
As I've noted in many UV threads, the only negative to a UV, hold a specific nutrient rich tank (sponge or sea apple or something), is price/maintanance. I find the 'ability' of the UV to kill beneficial algae greatly overhyped.
It's affect on Marine Ich is that it kills probably 5%. The only real benefit to a UV, is algae control. Which is what they were designed to do (they adaption from pond use). For a FOWLR/Fish-Only, UV's certainly can help.
Oh really? I thought they pretty much kill anything that goes through it, I thought it would kill about 90 % of ick not 5% honestly it was more for disease prevention and some of that hard green algae that gets on the glass. How much would something like a 40 watt cost?

aquaknight

A 40watt UV should be in the $180-$250 range, with UV bulbs needing replaced every 9-12months costing about $70. Again, a 40watt is sort of the minimum, at least IMO I'd run on a 240. If you decide on a larger tank, a larger UV will be needed. a 100watt UV runs in the $475-$600 range. Really these are "extra pieces" of equipment you can nerd out your tank with. If anyone is on a budget, and considering a UV unit, their money is spent much better elsewhere.
If you wanted turn the flow rate through the UV way down, sure you probably could kill larger critters like amiphpods or bristleworms, but then you're not getting the whole tank.
Yes, it unfortunately is an major missconception that UV units can treat Marine Ich or other diseases. The fact of the matter is that only a tiny percentage of Ich would past through the UV, because the lfe cycle of Ich doesn't allow much of a chance for them to be sucked through the UV.

runn3rb3an

Ok thanks, I thought they did a lot more than that. I guess I really don't need to spend 300 dollars fighting non existing algae. Thanks!

UV Will kill Ich...But like was said..only what passes thru the UV gets zapped...and that depends on your DWELL TIME.
That means at say a flow rate of 400gph it will kill algae spores(free floating of course) but may do nothing for protozoa...u would have to slow the flow rate on the pump to say 150gph alowing the protos to spend more time in the tube getting exposed to the light.
I have used them in the past on Fresh...Salt and Ponds..I do think they can REDUCE not Kill all .... If you can afford one for that size tank..I would get one..there are SOOOO many other things in this hobby where we WASTE our money.