Need help Fast (Aiptasia)

hotkrumba

So I tried the Aiptasia-X stuff, thought I had it under controll, was gone for a week and when I came back got more Aiptasia that I had before. So what does anyone recommend for a faster control. Is there any fish that are reef safe that will eat them or an easier treatment. Need help fast.

natclanwy

I'm not familiar with Aiptasia-X, but I have used a Kalkwasser paste on my tank and have had good success at eradicating 1000's of aiptasia. Sometimes it takes a couple of times to kill them especially if they expel the solution out of their mouth. Also you might just be seeing all of the small aiptasia that were around the base of the old aiptasia now that it is gone. The key is to be diligent and continue to treat them as soon as you see them and you will eventually get ahead of them.

mie

Originally Posted by 95Harley
http:///forum/post/2801144
I added a CBB and it was all gone in several weeks and I had a lot!
I would not recomend a CBB (coper band buterfly fish) due to the simple fact they are very finicky eaters and most of them end up starving to death. Your best solution is a pep shrimp or diligence with a aptaisia kill product.

natclanwy

Originally Posted by mie
http:///forum/post/2801212
I would not recomend a CBB (coper band buterfly fish) due to the simple fact they are very finicky eaters and most of them end up starving to death. Your best solution is a pep shrimp or diligence with a aptaisia kill product.
I have to agree with this, unless you can find a speciman that is eating prepared foods in the store I wouldn't try it and if you do find one that is eating prepared foods they are less likely to eat aiptasia.

calaxa

I really love looking at CBB's at the store but I never see it eating ever. Not even live foods. I'm sure there are some lucky specimens out there but I wouldn't try one of these unless I saw it eating frozen mysis.
Go with pep shrimps and some chemical control (Joe's Juice, lemon juice, kalk, etc.). Make sure they are peps and not camelbacks.

i just started to use aiptasia-x today, looks like its working fine to me. watching them emplode is cool. are you covering the whole head of it??
ill keep you posted on my experiance with it.

steelytom

I had the same exact thing happen to me. Small ones poppe up all over. I think I left the big ones go to long and they spawned. I was at my LFS and he had a CBB that was eating mysis. I had him feed it in front of me and it gobbled them up with us standing there. So I bought him, not just for aptasia, I have always liked them. I had him for two weeks and he ate all the small ones and left three bigger ones. I decided to hit the remaining three with the X. Well the next day I noticed the copperband was just sitting in the same spot and was chewing like he was eating. He normally was constantly grazing. When I fed he never moved. The next day he died
. I think he may have eaten one of the zapped aptasias and the X killed him. That is the only thing I can think of since this happened so fast and he was eating so good. I can't beleive that I finally found one that would eat frozen and I killed him

mlr492

Wish I could add one. I am having the WORST time with the stuff. But I have a 30, don't think it would like that too much

95harley

I tried a dozen Pepp Shrimp and they did nothing. Then I "rented" the CBB for several weeks and returned him when he was done.
Sold him back to the store. I personanlly don't like adding any of the Juices, chemicals, or any other magic cures to my tank as I don't trust what it will do to everthing else and once it's done there is no quick fix.
Good luck beating it whatever you decide.

noah's nemo

http:///forum/post/2802962
I tried a dozen Pepp Shrimp and they did nothing.
Then I "rented" the CBB for several weeks and returned him when he was done.
Sold him back to the store. I personanlly don't like adding any of the Juices, chemicals, or any other magic cures to my tank as I don't trust what it will do to everthing else and once it's done there is no quick fix.
I guess its hit or miss with these guys,but for a few bucks a piece its worth a try.

natclanwy

http:///forum/post/2802962
I tried a dozen Pepp Shrimp and they did nothing. Then I "rented" the CBB for several weeks and returned him when he was done.
Your pretty safe with Joes juice, its just a kalkwasser paste, same chemical we use to increase calcium and alk levels.

fcatch76

an even easier and safer way is lemon juice and a needle/ syringe. Just don't use too much at once for pH changes. Works wonders!! PM me if you need more info.

natclanwy

Originally Posted by fcatch76
http:///forum/post/2806122
an even easier and safer way is lemon juice and a needle/ syringe. Just don't use too much at once for pH changes. Works wonders!! PM me if you need more info.
Lemon juice has the same effect as using Joe's juice or kalkwasser, and to apply lemon juice it requires you to inject the aiptasia with a needle which can cause the aiptasia to start propagating due to stress. Not to mention it is tedious to inject each individual aiptasia.