Need help fast! Black worm nightmare!

N

newbienz

I have millions of little black worms about -- in length. They are all over my corals and on my fish [they are darting all over the place and breathing quickly]. I've moved them into a QT and they are doing a little better.
I've read that these worms are the cause for black ich [not sure if they are the same worms].
How do I get rid of them and get them off of my corals, LR and sand.
I am guessing they were hitch-hikers on the strawberry crab that someone gave to me a few weeks back.
I've killed some by dipping the LR into freshwater, but I don't want to dip my corals into freshwater to kill some of these things. Any help would be appreciated.

sundance

Did you do a freashwater dip of the fish before you put them in the QT? I think you can do this and if it kills the worms it would prevent them from infesting the QT.
Sundance

N

newbienz

Originally posted by sundance
Did you do a freashwater dip of the fish before you put them in the QT? I think you can do this and if it kills the worms it would prevent them from infesting the QT.
Sundance

Thanks, did that and my fish are fine. Now its the problem with the LR, LS, and Corals and getting rid of them from there. Any suggestions for them?

N

newbienz

Originally posted by 007
I have no idea what you have there, but try asking Dr. Ron

Who is Dr. Ron and where can I find him? Thanks 007

sundance

There is a product call "Coral Dip". It’s intended for new arrivals before you introduce them into the tank. You might try that. I agree, dipping your coral in freshwater might do them harm.

jbstuart

Sounds like this.. Black Spot Disease a small parasitic turbellarian flatworm in the genus Paravortex takes up residence in substrate and spreads. However, the website really didn't give a solution to killing it, other than copper, and thats bad news to reef aquariums. They said cleaner wrasses could work, but later die to lack of food.. I dont know..
later
Jarod
I wonder if some sort of cleaner shrimp wouldn't pick them off?? I've never had them, and after the looks of what you got hope I never will..
also Good Luck

R

randy 12

Can't remember where I found this out but I read that turbellarians are a flatworm - they do look different than the typical red flatworm (planaria) we usually think of. So you might try Flatworm Exit. I believe it is reef safe but you'll have to do a pretty good water change due to the die off.
Here it is... scroll down a little and on the right side you'll see one.
http://www.animalnetwork.com/fish2/aqfm/1998/sep/wb/

he's an invertebrate zoologist that takes questions on the other major reef board. Try doing a google search for "ask dr. ron" If the link takes you to a reef message board you're in the right place.