Need help... going to try copper

gregghia

I have a Scopas, Perc and Royal that have ICH. I have them in a 20gal long QT with nothing but sand. I was on my way to trying HYPO but at this moment I cannot. With work and what I have have coming up I am hardly home. I know hypo takes some attention to detail which I am going to have a hard time doing as far as keeping water parameters tight and in line for several weeks.
I need help to make sure I am not doing anything to harm further... AND PLEASE DO NOT FLAME ME AND SAY ANYTHING ABOUT BEING A GOOD AQUARIST. I just want help....
So I had started to lower the SG to 1.020. I decided to try copper so I am slowly raising back to 1.025. I am going to add copper which I got Cupramine from Seachem. Before I add I want to let you know that I did try one treatment of Kick Ich. Its been 3 days since that injection into QT. If I put in copper will I have or create an adverse effect?

geridoc

Don't beat yourself up (or let others do it for you) about using copper to treat ich. Sure, hypo is effective, but copper works too. Just as you have to be very careful about salinity during hypo, you have to be obsessive about copper levels during copper treatment. Be sure that the kit you are using to measure copper will measure the form of copper you are using, and you should be ok. I think most reports of copper difficulties arise from overdosing, rather than the effects of copper (IMHO). Do a water change, and then dose with copper and you shouldn't have any problems from Kick Ich. Good luck!

beth

Administrator
Staff member
You need to use the Seachem copper test kit, and maintain copper levels. Hopefully your QT is well cycled, as the copper will kill off your biofilter and the QT may go into a cycle.

gregghia

Originally Posted by Beth
You need to use the Seachem copper test kit, and maintain copper levels. Hopefully your QT is well cycled, as the copper will kill off your biofilter and the QT may go into a cycle.

The QT has been running for 6 months now.... I will get the seachem kit... what is the ideal copper level to maintain and for how long would you suggest Beth?

cdfodor

copper is the way to go, ich kills quick and you don't have time to mess around. I have tried all of the reef safe crap in the past, you would be better burning your money instead. The copper will work, but monitor it w/ a copper test kit like someone said. Hopefully the QT works, in the future keep the water clean and soak your food w/ garlic and vitamins. I would use garlic imediately, it will keep them eating and build their immune system. KENT garlic seems to work well as does SeaChem garlic. I would also look into a good UV sterilizer for the display tank, helped me tremendously.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by gregghia
The QT has been running for 6 months now.... I will get the seachem kit... what is the ideal copper level to maintain and for how long would you suggest Beth?
Copper needs as much attention as hyposalinity does. Remember that the only thing that evaporates is the water. As the water evaporates everything else in the water becomes more concentrated. You have a tang. Be very carefull using copper, it can be leathal to the fish. If you are going to use copper, use Cupramine. Read the directions and dose EXACTLY as it says. Copper dos not kill ich on contact. You have to maintain the appropriate copper level (end result is .5ppm) for it to work. It slowly kills the ich. You have to allow the fish to acclimate to the copper (in the doses recommended on the bottle) to not kill your fish. With hyposalinity you lower the SG in 48hrs, then you can hook up an auto top off to maintain the level. It does not harm the fish at all.