need help guys I have a big problem with LR

mch2o

The guy I just got all my live rock from gave me rock that has still been in water from his tank in tubs with air, current, and light. He has mushrooms, polyps, coral, purple fingers, and zoandids. I am just settig up my tank and have no rock but what i but in it tonight. Should i but my light on it now even though it hasn't cycled yet ? please if anyone is still awake and could help i would be very thank full.

sly

Yes, you should give it some light. There are probably various organisms on the rock which carry out photosynthesis... What kind of lighting do you have?

mch2o

I Am alson about to run both of my protein skimmers do to so much cloudy water u think that is ok ? one Uro 85 and a corallife 75.

sly

I ran my skimmer during my cycle and saw nothing wrong with it... It should clear up your water.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by Sly
http:///forum/post/2767318
I ran my skimmer during my cycle and saw nothing wrong with it... It should clear up your water.
The problem with running a skimmer during cycling is that it will remove a lot of the nutrients the bacteria need to convert and multiply. I'd think the skimmer would increase cycle time.

mch2o

yes salt was mixed in before put in the tank for a few hrs.
And The rock was never out of the water so from what I have seen. zero lvl's so far of nitrate and amon. I do see a nice little pink coral i found on one of my rocks. and starfish and snails that came with the LR so i'm happy about that.