need help im moving!

humblefishie

i have a 55 gal. tank and im moving here in few days and had some ?'s. i plan on taken all the lr and put it in a cooler filled with my water and put the 3 fish in a 5 gal bucket of water and draining the rest till its just my sand bed with little water. does this sound ok? should i try to take my water too or just make some new once i get there???
thanks for any advise

gypsana

I would take more water with you, at least half if not more. If you replace all the water it is like doing a 100% water change and it could shock the system. Also pay close attention to your levels.

turningtim

Originally Posted by gypsana
http:///forum/post/2960856
I would take more water with you, at least half if not more. If you replace all the water it is like doing a 100% water change and it could shock the system. Also pay close attention to your levels.
+1, I use a big rubbermaid trash can to move water. Even if you think you have all of it you will lose some. If moving the tank with the sand in place to not to disturb it to much. This could kick a cycle.

humblefishie

thats what i figured im going to look for something with wheels to help out and take all the water i can.
i hope this move goes well
thanks

E

eric b 125

depending on how far you are moving, i would take out as much water from the tank as possible. if there is any water on top of the sand, it will give the sand a better chance to mix up. the sand itself will stay saturated depending on the weather and time of move. really try not to disturb that sandbed, it could release detritus and trites if it is mixed around.

harris28

I just moved my 75 gal reef across town which is about a 30 minute drive but let me tell you it was not fun. Bring lots of friends.
I took all my rock with no corals attached and wrapped them up in newspaper and put in a rubber maid container. I have 3 30gal rubber maid trash cans and rocks with corals went in there and I split the water evenly between the 3 cans. So I kept all my water. Then in a 5 gal pail I put frags, fish and cuc. Bigger pieces of coral I put in ziplock bags and boxed them up ans same with fish.
All went without a hitch except the tank would not come loose of the stand so we had to move it as one unit. Let me tell you that was not fun at all!!!!!!!!!
So in short keep more water, take your time, recruit friends, and good luck!!