Need Help... My fish are dying

NEWBIEEE

I have a 50-gallon saltwater tank. 90% live rocks and white live sand. Set up 2 month ago. I was off to a good start until now. I’ve had 2 clownfish, 1 yellow tang, three damselfish two was blue and one was black/white stripe, and one pork fish and 1 seahorse…. Plus 2 snails, 2 hermit crabs…. Its was doing fine but started with porkfish had ick on his body, I started treat the whole tank with ick medicine food from a fish store. The porkfish was getting better… however, the yellow tan died two weeks ago. Then porkfish getting its ick back again I treat with medicine food again a few times. Two of my clownfish dead in 3 days…then porkfish getting its ick again, I used SUPER ICK CURE only once a few days ago however it turned my full tank in blue…… since then I collected dead fish everyday … begin with damsel, then porkfish, only one seahorses left but he is not doing well either … I tested water, besides nitrate leave a bit high at about 40… all others all fine … I am so frustrated what’s going wrong ? All I can think its ick treatment killed all…. Any idea / help will be greatly appreciate!!!

Last edited:

lmforbis

None of these will kill ich. You need to do a proper treatment Of all fish in A qt tank Then let your tank sir fishless (fallow) for 72 days to allow the ich to die off.

sea horses need to be kept in a low temp species only tank. They can’t compete for food
max on damsel, none would be best. They will fight and pick each other off.

NEWBIEEE

Thanks for your feedback! Now I don't know what to do? I may just leave the tank without fish for a while until ich to die off and new cycling process achieved. What do you think?

SALTWAT3RFISH

Administrator
Staff member
Medication can be a slippery slope. I would start with a 20% water change and add some carbon. What type of filtration are you using?

SALTWAT3RFISH

Administrator
Staff member
We will 1st want to get whatever chemistry issues that may have gone whacky with treatment back into line. The clearest path to success in aquariums is chemical stability. If you don't have that, then it will be impossible to gauge effectiveness of any methods treatment. Tell me more about your system.

SALTWAT3RFISH

Administrator
Staff member
Some medications can have a negative impact on biological filtration. If you have the means to set up a quarantine tank, it is highly recommend and will ultimately save you a lot of money and frustration. When you have a chance, I would really like to see your chemistry results when you have a chance.

NEWBIEEE

I did about 20% water change and water test in my local fish store, it was perfect . I heated up my water up to 84 degrees as recommended for three days . Hopefully kill all the parasites . Then I just added a few Blue damsels only to see what happens .

SALTWAT3RFISH

Administrator
Staff member
I did about 20% water change and water test in my local fish store, it was perfect . I heated up my water up to 84 degrees as recommended for three days . Hopefully kill all the parasites . Then I just added a few Blue damsels only to see what happens .
Hopefully you have that QT tank set up soon. You're going to need a home for those damsels before you add anything else. They don't call them blue devils for no reason lol. Keep us posted and good luck to you!