Need Help on bio/balls or not???

cincijoe

I'm in the process of planning an upgrade to a 180 and am planning on using an old 75 I have for a sump/fuge. My LFS says I should keep the wet/dry with the bioballs.
I'm starting to get confused on wether or not I really need these.
I will start with a fowlr and upgrade the lighting over the year to make it a reef tank.
Currently have about 125lbs of LR and 100 lbs of LS to start with.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Joe

sw65galma

This is a much debated topic and there is no definative answers.
It's more of a preference.
It seams based on what I've read. Only if you have Enough LR can you do without the BioBalls, as the LR substitiutes surface area that the Bioballs give you.
With that said, the general rule of thumb is 1lb per lr to 1 gallon.
My best guess would be if you have near that amount you can do without, if not keep the balls.
Just be sure not to let a lot of detrius build up on them, a thin coat of "slime" is ok, but if you noitice large buildup, then clean them, few at a time.

msd2

yea not to flame u man but do a search its been beat to death :) but that said, because im not going to go into a long thing, no toss the balls. Nothing but trouble for me, creates lots of nitrates unless u keep them well cleaned. Use your wet/dry as a sump/fuge if u want.

mujtba

u dont need those balls if u have enuf LR. i say get more LR if u have to, and screw the balls.. (no pun intended) :hilarious

big slick

I use dead coral skeletons instead of balls, and no problems...
PS. This is a 40 gallon sump for a 125 tank

ratpack

got rid out of your balls you dont need them if you have enough LF( 1lb per gallon)
i still have my balls but im taking them out slowly and at the saem time adding LR. Cleaning those balls is a pain in you ball. if you dont want to clean any benefical bacteria you have to rinse them in salt water.

:hilarious