need help on overflow box

what kind of overflow is it?.............most that I know of have to have some way of sucking the air out..........I have mine hooked up to a powerhead..............also, you have to "prime" the box by putting some water in both sides.

ex82nd

it is a hang-on that has a 3/4" tube looped from one side to the other. not sure how to hook a power head to it

krux

pull the tube out of the water. place a small piece of airline in one end, leading to the top center of the curve. place the tube back into your tank.
suck on the end of the airline hanging out of the tube to remove the air, replacing it with water. this should get the siphon going.
it is important that both ends of the tube are submerged, so you need to fill both sides of the overflow.
picture to follow shortly.

azeritis

I have never tried that. But the picture does look funny.
You can always fill the looped tube with water and seal both ends with common plastic wrap used for food. Then place the tube in its position with both ends submerged in water and pull out the plastic wraps from both ends at the same time. I have been doing this for several years. Sounds a lot more complicated than it really is, but works well.
But Picasso's approach shown above should work well too....

ok, I tried to get paintshop to help me out, but it wouldn't let me do what I wanted....................but anyway, the airline you put in the tube can be hooked up to a powerhead, when you do a water change, or the power goes out, it automatically restarts the box................no sucking on a tube, or saran wrap

rane

Krux,
That is great..still laughing my @$$ off with that picture but thats the same way I do it and it works great

jhead

Just a note to all you suckers.
If you sumbmerge the U-tube in water and then cover the ends with plasic wrap. Then you can pick it up and move it to the overflow and just remove the plastic wrap.
No spitting or swallowing involved.