need help on Skimmer

im tring to start a reef tank and I dont have a hole lot of money
so im tring to find a good protien skimmer that isent two-three
hundred dollars I saw one for a hundred dollars the Via Aqua
Multi Deluxe skimmer w/uv is this any good or what else would
u suggest me getting?? Thanks

YA I bought one of those and I returned it because it put alot of bubbles back into my tank do u think that the Prizm Deluxe Skimmer whould work better?

stapler

I have never used a prizm skimmer...so cant tell you how well they work. Do a search on prizm skimmers, you should find a lot of old threads talking about these skimmers.

jb909

i have the Prizm Deluxe on a 72 gal bow. It's very loud and it doesn't seem to produce much. I'm not sure if something is wrong with it or not. Has anyone had experience with it?

rbmount

It makes a big difference, it removes the disolved gunk from your tank that the wet dry won't catch.

bonghitter

if u get a hang on get the aquac remora pro with mag3 pump. mine works great on my 75g. i paid $225. seaclones are junk. dont be a skimmer skimper.

klearstar

mxracer,
Do not, I repeat, do not get a Seaclone skimmer. I'm sorry to those that have one and like it but, I got one as a gift last Christmas so I figure, "What the heck", i"ll use it. I wanted a Euroreef5-2 which seemed to get a consensus thumbs up on this board but, a free skimmer is a free skimmer, right? Well it leaks horribly no matter what I do.(silicone on the o-ring etc.) It's loud, and after 3 months it only produced bubbles into the collection cup about 5 days. This was the new improved version Seaclone supposedly. I dont even use it anymore. I am getting a Euroreef soon. I may use it when I set up my sump as an in sump skimmer. At least I wont have to worry about it leaking then.

djfrown

If you desire a HOB, In doing some searches for my 72g, I found the Aqua-C Remora w/MJ1200 for $162 @ Cheap Corals.

roggy23

you should get the AQuaC remora Skimmer with MJ 1200 pump.
if you can afford the prefilter box get that too its totally worth it.
we are talking an awesome skimmer for a 75 gal for a lil under $200

C

capschamp

I second all replies for the remora. Upgraded from a piece of junk visi-jet and love it. Only cost 175 on ----. Removes some pretty nasty smelly junk too.:jumping:

jsb

I third all replies for the remora. You don't want to buy a less expensive one to only find out it wasn't worth the money and then have to buy a remora. Now your out more money than you would have been. I have a remora and it's great. I bought the one with the Maxijet 1200 as well. It's not real loud either. Oh BTW I got mine for $179.00
I have a question about the prefilter. What does this peice do? Mine seems to do great with out it.
Good Luck.

C

capschamp

not 100% but i believe the prefilter reduces the amount of bubbles that are produced when the water comes out. i could be wrong, that is just what i have read.

dark angel

We have a prizim skimmer, and our is great. We have 55 gal tank. I read one post someone said there prizim deluxe skimmer is loud. humm, ours isn't. Were new to this hobby, but, we did find that on theprizim skimmer, there is part of the book that is misprinted. the primer part is backwards. The only time our skimmer is ever loud is when we have to prime it, after all the bubbles are out of the inlet tube, theres no more noise. And as for cost, we paid $99 for ours.