Need help picking a nano out

kelly4687

My bf and I want to get another tank...we want a smaller one then the 29gal biocube.
I was thinking about the 14nano..but rather have something not exactly like the biocube....I like the small glass ones- I don't think I want to go smaller then 10gal.
Here is one problem...I have cats! Cats who love to sit in front of the tank and smack it because the blenny teases them....so the tank needs a top, hopefully a clear cool looking one.
I don't have a ton of money...so what are my options?
Thanks!

small triggers

just about any tank you want,,, you can go to a glass place and have a top cut for it too though..... so if you like the look of something like a rimless,,, you can put a top on it to keep the kittys out... ald make a small stand they cant climb and dont put it near anything close enough for them to jump to it ) that would be hard though i guess unless you want it in the center of your room!)

kelly4687

I am just confused all around....I have no idea what type of tank, filtration, lighting, etc.....I def need to get a glass top like you said...and I rather not put it up high because the cats will def find a way to get to it....they always do!!!

I personally don't like the way biocubes and nano cubes look. But thats just me! After having a nano cube for 7 months now I wish I had gone with a rimless tank or something longer and more shallow. Again that is just a personal preference. If you break it down you really have a few options.
1. Go with the nano cube or bio cube which are all in one systems.
2. Buy any kind of tank you think looks good and a) plumb it for a refugium or use a HOB refugium b) use a simple mechanical filter that you just clean out and replace the sponge to.
3. Get a custom made tank and have it built anyway you want.
Personally, I think I might downgrade to a 10 or 15 gallon rimless tank in the near future.

wfd1008

Depending on what you're going to keep in there, it might be cheaper to go with a pre-made nano. They have their ups and downs, but everything does. If something breaks, then you have to hunt down parts (I'm talking about the fans), but they are affordable. On the other hand, if you went with a 20-gal high, then you'll have a bigger tank and it's more of a standard size to find lights and what not. With that route, then you'll have to spend more money to get lights, filter, skimmer, and what not, but you'll have more tank. What size were you thinking?

kelly4687

I don't think I want a nano/biocube again...right now I have a 29gal biocube that I am not loving. I don't really like the look and want something rimless....I was thinking no smaller then 10 gallon but I just saw a TOM 3 gal that I really like but not sure how I can tweak it.

garick

Try an eco cube. Its rimless. If I know what rimless is.
This is a pic of what I have: Not mine but the exact same thing.