Need help please, cycling a 75

mavmike72

First i had a 55 reef tank and we lost power and killed everthing in my tank. This was last year, tank sat for a year and i did nothing to it. I recentally got a 75 i was gonna set up for fish for now. I cleaned the old arragonite and the rock for the new tank. It has about 65 lbs of rock in the tank (Dead rock). I was just cirious so i went to get the water tested today. Its only been a week since i set it up but i wanted to see what my water was like. The guy at the pet store said i needed to do a 25 gallon water change because my nitrates are high. Is this right on a new tank? Don't i need to let is cycle for a few weeks? Thanks for the help......
PS ive got a sump with 25 gallons of water in it.

crypt keeper

what other fitration do you have? let it do its thing for a few more weeks. You dont do water changes during a cycle.

mavmike72

I have no other filtration. I have a protein skimmer but i was waiting to hook it up. I was thinking the same thing about changing water this soon. I guess i will wait.

halamaya

I've been using StartSmart by TLC with my new tanks. Cuts the cycle time in half I recommmend it for those of us who can not wait.

beaslbob

Originally Posted by mavmike72
http:///forum/post/3224583
First i had a 55 reef tank and we lost power and killed everthing in my tank. This was last year, tank sat for a year and i did nothing to it. I recentally got a 75 i was gonna set up for fish for now. I cleaned the old arragonite and the rock for the new tank. It has about 65 lbs of rock in the tank (Dead rock). I was just cirious so i went to get the water tested today. Its only been a week since i set it up but i wanted to see what my water was like. The guy at the pet store said i needed to do a 25 gallon water change because my nitrates are high. Is this right on a new tank? Don't i need to let is cycle for a few weeks? Thanks for the help......
PS ive got a sump with 25 gallons of water in it.
It is not unusual to have "high" nitrates (and possibility low pH) in a tank with little to no plant life like macro algae.
For almost any tank and most especially for a FO tank I would recommend you add macro algaes, protect them from the fish, and let the macro algaes expand untill nitrates are 0 and pH has risen. that way the tank will be balanced out and stabilized and the nutrients like nitrogen are just recycled into fish food.
my .02

florida joe

first i think we need to know what you LFS considered high FYI
You need not nor may you ever see zero nitrates

mavmike72

Originally Posted by florida joe
http:///forum/post/3225220
first i think we need to know what you LFS considered high FYI
You need not nor may you ever see zero nitrates
Roughly 180 ppm. But what i don't understand is why its so high after one week of running.

florida joe

Roughly 180 ppm
i don't even think you LFS can test for nitrates in that high a level. get yourself a test kit and test for yourself. FYI you must follow the test procedure exactly

mavmike72

Originally Posted by florida joe
http:///forum/post/3225340
i don't even think you LFS can test for nitrates in that high a level. get yourself a test kit and test for yourself. FYI you must follow the test procedure exactly
Do you have an opinion on kit? With out breaking the bank.....lol

fretfreak13

I have the API one. Good for cycling, but later on you'll want to get other things to test if you're keeping a reef. It's got PH, ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. Looks like this at the store. =)

mavmike72

Just checked tank myself, ammonia was 0. That was drops. I bought dipstrips for nitrite and nitrate. Nitrite 3 and nitrate was off the chart high. Tank is 3 and half weeks into cycling. What do you all think about nitrates? Just wait it out and see if they drop or change some water? Thanks

crypt keeper

You are in full cycle. Give it time. Allow the tank to run as your normally would. turn on lights like normal. turn on all pumps skimmers filtration. They will stsrat to drop soon enough. Just check the water level top off as normal. Othe rthan that just for get about the tank for a few days. In 3 days check params again. If Trites are still there check again in aother 3 days. Checking everyday will annoy you and frustrate you.
When you get trites down to 0, not .5, not 1.0, just 0 then test every day for 3 days. Trites will kill fish. Once trites have tested 0 everyday then do a 30 gallon water change. Test every day for 3 days then go get your first fish. Almost there.

mavmike72

Originally Posted by crypt keeper
http:///forum/post/3234478
You are in full cycle. Give it time. Allow the tank to run as your normally would. turn on lights like normal. turn on all pumps skimmers filtration. They will stsrat to drop soon enough. Just check the water level top off as normal. Othe rthan that just for get about the tank for a few days. In 3 days check params again. If Trites are still there check again in aother 3 days. Checking everyday will annoy you and frustrate you.
When you get trites down to 0, not .5, not 1.0, just 0 then test every day for 3 days. Trites will kill fish. Once trites have tested 0 everyday then do a 30 gallon water change. Test every day for 3 days then go get your first fish. Almost there.
So at this point i should not wory about the nitrates at all? I just need to consintrate on the nitrite levels right. Thanks