need help please in seting up tank

I justalked to my LFS about the sand i am going to use in my tank
I am going to go with #1 sand. I have a 200 gallon tank 96x24x24. the LFS told me I need a planter system for under the sand bed. they told me it is about $200.oo for it. and the sand is put on top of it. can some tell me what this is and if i really need it.. thanks for taking your time to read my post..

novice150

I personally have never heard of a "planter system" which is placed under the sand. But what you describe sounds like a plenum. If this is what they are trying to sell you, you can make one for under $30. A plenums general purpose is to create an oxygen poor environment under the sand, in which denitrifying bacteria can thrive, in turn lowering your nitrates.
HTH

kris

I also have never heard of the Planter, but I do know you don't NEED one especially at 200:eek:
Be careful, some lfs' will sell you everything, mine was convinced I could not run my tanks properly without UV sterilizer and a 350 dollar wet/dry. Well I guess I showed him.
Good Luck

if you buy that planter for 200, ill sell you a beachfront property viewing the great barrier reef for 100. before you buy anything leave a thread and we will help you. one of my lfs sold my sister a seahorse and said it can live with anything. 3min,a damsel had dinner.

tvan

If you are going fish only I woudn't try a DSB. I have a 265 with 4" of sand. The sand is never in one place long enough to be of any benefit. I put a plenium under the mud in my refug a 30 gallon tank. I would use the 200 for display purposes. Put the filtration somewere else. Except of course for Live Rock.
HTH
Tom

fulcrum

I disagree on the DSB. There are plenty of fish that don't mess around with the sand. I have not had any issue with my DSB sand being displaced. The benefits of the DSB are very strong.
Just make sure your fish are not the kind to root around in the sand too much.