Need Help Please!

jmart64

I changed my lights a few weeks ago from 196 watts of PC to 600 watts T-5 and everything has just gone nuts with my 125. It looks like there are several types of algae blooms along with a red slime outbreak. My nitrates are down around 10 and phosphates were pretty low too. I did add a phos reactor a couple days ago though. I have air bubbles all over the place and have been told they are from the cyano outbreak. My tank also smells like a tide pool! My fish seem to be doing fine and the few corals I have seem ok but it looks terrible. Any suggestions what may be causing this and what I can do to get it under control?

maryg

I would start by cutting your photo period back to 4 hours a day and work your way up slowly from there and do a major water change. You may need to also replenish your CUC. Good luck.

novahobbies

Ditto. Sounds like your tank is reacting to the new light pouring in. You'll need to cut back on the lighting for a while, then ramp it back up slowly. WHat fixture are you using now?

jmart64

I'm using a 60" Ice Cap T-5 retro with 660 ballasts. I have 2 ATI Blue Plus bulbs, 2 ATI Aquablue Specials, a Fiji Purple and one actinic

jmart64

Yes, I have 600 watts total. I cut back on the lighting to 4 hours per day; today is the second day of that. Now the tank seems to be getting cloudy and my skimmer is producing some nasty dark, smelly waste. Is that die off?

coachphp

Do a search on cyno bacteria or red slime in these forums. The red slime, plus air bubbles makes me think it's a cyno outbreak. There are several ways to treat this.

spanko

Originally Posted by jmart64
http:///forum/post/2982043
Yes, I have 600 watts total. I cut back on the lighting to 4 hours per day; today is the second day of that. Now the tank seems to be getting cloudy and my skimmer is producing some nasty dark, smelly waste. Is that die off?
Probably algae die-off. Keep up with what you are doing and make sure you are running some carbon to help clear the water. Might get uglier before it bets better but stay on track. Test for ammonia and nitrites and be sure to have some water on hand in case you need to do some water changes to get ammonia down.