Need Help Quick

mkbigz

Hi, bought a piece of rock with rics. on it and it had what looks like sponge, put it in my tank and an hour later my pj cardinal and fire fish were dead, now my other corals are shirnking, could this sponge be toxic? doing water change now, should i take the rock back out? Mark

dburr

I can't believe it was the rock. Could something eslse have gotten into the tank?

mkbigz

Thats what i'm trying to figure out, my bro. purchased this piece and upon futher observation the mushrooms were actually on a giant sponge. and man did it stink. my tank is a complete mess, live and learn with these small tanks.

mkbigz

This tank has been up for 4 years i did a substate change about 10 weeks ago. water has been exellent. Tank was doing great, i was goin to snap some shots and post, it was looking soo fine. now i can't get that stink off my hand. as quick as those fish died makes me think something toxic got in tank. man i'm bummed. skimmer is out of control which leads me to believe something got in tank, got it turned way down and its puking large bubbles. just did one 4g water change and going to do another.

mkbigz

0 and 0. thats what leads me to believe an outside source, maybe something on the bag when it got floated. i guess all i can do now is try to save it. kenyas drooped over along with a toad stool, green hairy mushrooms look good. i have a giant colt that looks like its pretty stressed.

bigarn

Could the rock have been exposed to air for any period of time? Sponges can die pretty quickly when exposed to air, and they stink when they're dead or dieing. I'm thinking the sponge is the culprit. (toxins)
:D

mkbigz

The so called rock that looked like it had sponges on it along with the rics, get this, it was a big sponge, i cut the rics off and tossed the sponge, its just amazes me how fast everything went south, well one more water change and hope for the best in the morning.

mkbigz

Hi everybody, would like to thank you for the feedback. Tank is doing better even though i lost two fish, come to find out when i went to my LFS they to had a yellow tang die in the same tank this creature was in, so i guess my sacrifice saved some of his livestock too. Talk about a caring LFS, he gave me full credit for the sponge (rock) and is replacing my fish and gave me a super discount on some items i purchased. So BEWARE of the sponge. Mark

jgrossi

sounds like your local retailer was more than fair to ya.
sorry about what you had to go through.
good luck:happyfish