need help setting up 55 gallon fowlr

hi im looking to start a 55 gallon fowlr tank.i dont have anything yet i want to price out everything 1st.my questions are how much live rock and sand do i need for a 55 gallon tank?do i need a protein skimmer for this kind of setup? will a wet/dry setup with the bioballs be enough filtration ?thanks for help any brands and products to help me get this going would be much help thanks

xcali1985

Originally Posted by techshredder
http:///forum/post/3107006
hi im looking to start a 55 gallon fowlr tank.i dont have anything yet i want to price out everything 1st.my questions are how much live rock and sand do i need for a 55 gallon tank?do i need a protein skimmer for this kind of setup? will a wet/dry setup with the bioballs be enough filtration ?thanks for help any brands and products to help me get this going would be much help thanks
The standard rule for Live Rock is 2lbs/1gal So approx 110lbs. I would say build a DIY sump there are plenty of directions on youtube and a little silicone and patience you can make one in 30 minutes. Lowes will even cut the plexiglass for you so all you have to do is insert. Will also allow you to upgrade all the way to reef with ease and your Display tank will look better.
Live Sand I would say 2inch base, What I did was place my rock in then about 1/2 of crushed coral and then 2 inch sand. This will be essential if you get sandshifting gobies who help keep the sand clean. (Remember to place the rock in first or you risk land slide.
The Bioballs help with filtration, however, with the right amount of flow inside the tank the rock will be all you need with a possible small HOB filter that can run carbon on and off to assist the protein skimmer if you get one.
Heres what you need for FOWLR minimum:
Tank
Rock
Powerheads
Heater
Good Results & Healthy fish w/ good water quality:
Tank
Rock
Sand
Powerheads
Heater
Protein Skimmer
Best Results
Tank
Rock
Sand
Powerheads
Heater
Protein Skimmer
Sump w/ refuge
HOB Filter for carbon running
Im currently working on upgrading to the later so I can sustain corals.

bizzmoneyb

it all depends on how you want it to look when it comes to rocks.
some people have 100lbs, some people have 30lbs.
if you want a 55 to look pretty full then go with around 100lbs. thats what i had in my 55 and it was pretty full.
i would def go with a skimmer. its worth it in the long run.

rondo

Welcome! I just set up a 55 regular a few month ago. I spent somewhere in the 800-1000 range for all equipment and rock. I started with 50 lbs of rock and added another 25 cause I didn't think it looked "full" enough. Depends on your preferences. I personally wouldn't go any less than 50lbs or it looks empty and you may not get enough bacteria growth. As for all the other equipment it depends how stuck on brand names you are. I say don't get the cheapest thing you can find but there is little need for top of the line either. Keep your eye open on craigslist for some good deals.
+1 on the skimmer