need help...sick seahorse

bennbrad

I have had Sug for 3 years now, she is in a tank by herself. A couple of days ago, I noticed she was on the bottom of the tank more than normal. Today I noticed that her underbelly is swollen and going down her tail...I don't want to lose her. There is hardly any information on seahorses, so I am hoping someone can help me
Thanks Mary Jo

novahobbies

Wow.....if you're SURE that she is in fact a she, then you may have some serious edema going on. Honestly the picture looks like a Male seahorse...their pouch extends halfway down the tail, remember. How old was she when you got her, and again...you're SURE she's female?
If you are sure of the sex, I would guess she might have edema. You mentioned she's on the bottom more often now - a common symptom. Edema causes fluid retention when the kidneys start to fail.
For Edema, you could try Diamox to reduce the swelling (acts as a mild diuretic) but that covers symptoms only. You will need an antibiotic like Furan-2 to combat the infection that is causing the problem. Trouble is, if the kidneys have started to shut down, there may not be much you can do.
Furan-2 can be found in most good fish stores. Use a 10 gallon QT tank, and follow the instructions on the packets.
Diamox is trickier. It is a prescription only med (usually used on Humans for glaucoma) and has to be gotten from your doctor. I have a couple I can send you to hold you over until you doctor quits laughing (the doc my wife works for certainly did!) and writes you an rx for it. You will also want to do the diamox in a QT system. But I really think we need to see another pic or two to make sure this isn't a case of juvenile horse becomeing sexually mature....

bennbrad

I am positive she is a female....I have had a couple of males that were with her and had the problem of them getting air in their pouches, after caring for them with the pouch problems, for weeks, I lost them, I swore, I would never own males again...I just took this pic and she is getting worse quick. Thank you for your help...I appreciate it alot...

bennbrad

I forgot...I have had her for 3 years, and when I got her she was about 2 inches long, now she is almost 7 inches long.

novahobbies

OK, that picture is much clearer. It's pretty obvious you've got a girl with a bad internal infection and swelling there. I would move her into a 10g hospital tank as soon as possible, and hit up a good fish store tomorrow morning early for Furan-2. If she makes it through the night, let me know and I will mail you a couple diamox. You can also call a local vet, explain the edema situation, and see if they will write an rx sight unseen....if you already have a vet for other pets they'll probably be more agreeable to that.

novahobbies

By the way, can I just say what a beautiful horse you have there, and why the heck haven't you joined our whacky little band before this? We need more seahorse fans in here....

bennbrad

She made it thru the night, and doesn't look any worse than last night, she is still pretty alert. I just got done setting her up with furand 2...everyone please cross ur fingers...And thank you she is my sweet heart, I love all my little saltwater friends. When I first started in saltwater. I was one a couple different forum, Michigan Reefers was one, I think, ...but then life got busy and you know how that goes...lolol. But I will be checkin in here alot in the near future...I forgot how much fun forums are, and how great the people are....exspecially here. Thanks again for your help, I really appreciate it...I will keep u posted on what is going on with her...

bennbrad

I was just thinking bout that last night....she is not eating....and it is probably day 3 that she hasn't. She is still hangin on this morning...just feed and she didn't eat. Couple of days ago I went and got her 3 live mysis and I am only seeing one today, but u know how live food is, can hide for days. Her breathing looks a little more labored today, but she doesn't look any worse or any more swollen.

novahobbies

OK, this is a problem. You may have to consider tube feeding her tomorrow if she's not eating either. I would try some live brine as well, mine go after live brine like it was popcorn (very little nutritional value, but better than nothing..and it might stimulate the feeding response). I've never had to tube feed my horses, but there are actually youtube videos online about how it's done.

bennbrad

ohhhh...that doesn't sound fun, but I will do what ever it takes, she is looking alot better tonight, but she has a spot on each side of her that kinda looks like her skin is gonna peel, kinda hard to explain, her breathing is still labored too. When I fed tonight, she looked like she wanted to eat, but I didn't see her take anything. I have some brine shrimp eggs in the fridg...is that what u think I should try next? Also LFS has some live brine shrimp in a bottle I think. I will check on here first thing in the morning then try what is suggested next. Then I will get another pic of her and post.

novahobbies

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennbrad http:///t/390825/need-help-sick-seahorse#post_3463325
ohhhh...that doesn't sound fun, but I will do what ever it takes, she is looking alot better tonight, but she has a spot on each side of her that kinda looks like her skin is gonna peel, kinda hard to explain, her breathing is still labored too. When I fed tonight, she looked like she wanted to eat, but I didn't see her take anything. I have some brine shrimp eggs in the fridg...is that what u think I should try next? Also LFS has some live brine shrimp in a bottle I think. I will check on here first thing in the morning then try what is suggested next. Then I will get another pic of her and post.
The skin lesion issue is a common symptom of a vibrio bacterial infection. If this is the case, the infection is probably mostly internal which would also explain the edema. Furan-2 is indicated in Vibrio infections, so you're on the right track already. I gotta say, this may not end well.....vibrio infections are particularly nasty and can easily wipe out a seahorse. Just keep doing what you're doing and let's hope for the best. I'm very happy to hear she's looking a little better..it's certainly the right direction!
Couple questions: First, do you have a chiller on this tank? One common way for bacteria to start blooming out of control and overwhelming your horses is the tank's temperature. Try to keep it in the low 70s....I keep mine at 71, personally. Even so-called "tropical" horses like the southern H. erectus can benefit from these cooler temperatures by keeping bacterial populations low. Also, water quality can obviously affect the horse. Reduced water quality may or may not help the background pathogen population, but it certainly reduces a horse's ability to combat these critters. I'm not implying anything regarding your tank care (you're obviously cautious enough to notice this and have a hospital tank on standby, so I'm sure your maintenance is good!) but since this horse is in another tank, now is probably a great time to do a thorough spring cleaning of the display tank and siphon out any excess gunk with a major water change....I'd go for 50% WC if you can. I've had a vibrio infection that manifested as tail rot on one H. reidi horse who I was able to cure, but less than a few months later all three horses in that tank died within a week or so of each other from what I believe was an internal vibrio. I did not have a chiller on this tank at the time, and I'll be perfectly honest....my water change schedule during that time was probably also below par. These things matter in smaller tanks such as our seahorse setups.
Second question (without the short story attached): Did your vet let you get a Diamox prescription? I have some on standby just in case.
I definitely worry about the eating issue. If today is day 4 with no food, you will almost certainly need to try tube feeding. The small catheter and syringe will be something you should be able to get from your vet. Remember -- just like in people -- the horse can't ever get better unless it has some fuel to help it along!
Fingers crossed....let us know!

bennbrad

I don't have a chiller on my tanks, I live in michigan and we are the winter months, even tho this has been the mildest winter I can ever remember, temp outside are averaging round 30 degrees, my house is set at 65 and in the summer I have central air. I am on my way to vets right now, with copies of our conversation and pics...so I really think Dr. Buch won't have a problem. I just have to look at youtube to seewhat I need for tube feeding, then stop at LFS for some more RO water...I did have her tank set at 74, which I just adjusted to 71. I will let u know how it goes at the vets. Today her belly is lookin a little worse then yesterday. I will send a pic when I get back. Thanks again

bennbrad

couldn't get the diamox....won't say much...still mad about that...drove to 4 places and couldn't get a cathader...Finally drove down to flint, to a vet I use to know when I was young and got one...I don't know anything about the clover oil that they put horses in first, video didn't say if it was suppose to be straight clover oil or mixed with water. But she is not fighting me so I am gonna try to feed her without the clover oil. It really eurks me how everything is a money game. Worst thing is I have money....but they want the office call for a seahorse...but my vet doesn't do that, they set me up with a vet over an hour from here, if I wanna take her in...so how do you keep a seahorse in a warm container for over and hour drive there and back....WTH...sorry should of turned the pic....

novahobbies

Be very careful with Clove oil.....in small amounts it is an anesthetic. In large amounts it kills.....we use it as a euthanizing agent in fact. Again, this is not something I've had to do myself, so I'm very cautious about offering how-to advice in this regard. Best I can do is refer you to the videos I've seen (which you have found) for this procedure. Dan from Seahorse Source has had to tube feed IIRC.
If she's not fighting the tube, that might be a sad sign. Let's hope you can get a little nutrition in her soon!

Oh, yeah: Diamox will be on the way.

bennbrad

she didn't fight the tube until I started getting the food in her, I am thinking it is a little late. I won't use the clove oil unless I have better instructions. I had a frisbee class with my border collie tonight, but I blew it off to keep an eye on her. Did the 25% water change and re medicated tank...I will feed again in the morning if she makes it thru the night. The tip of her tail is now starting to turn white to...I feel so bad for her. Gotta alot of research to do, so I will let u know how she is in the morning. Thanks again

gemmy

Now, I have a question. Is it possible it is just her time? From my research the average lifespan of seahorses in captivity is only 3-5 years.

novahobbies

That is a possibility. In fact, it was one of my initial thoughts. But I don't think it's something we should just assume. I have heard the same 3-5 year span before, but I don't think it's a reason to just "pull the plug." I don't know. That's a very personal decision the OP has to make.
Mary Jo, the white tail tip is another indication of bacterial infection spreading. At this point I'm starting to think it's a systemic thing that you might not be able to fight. Do you think you got any food in her?
I'll bring the diamox in to work to be mailed tomorrow. Even if you don't use it, you can keep it for future use.

bennbrad

I agree, it could be her time...but I am not gonna just give up on her...If it wasn't for this infection...she would still be ok, in my opinion...I think she got some food in her...did it again today, she is a fighter...She doesn't seem to be getting worse, but she also doesn't seem to be getting any better...but she doesn't look like she is half dead either, she is still pretty alert...I don't know what to do...just taking it one day at a time...