need help silencing a sump

shinny

Just built and hooked up my new sump. It is a lot louder than I thought. This is a problem because it is in my bedroom. I can get the overflow to be pretty quiet so it doesn't gulp air. But, the water flowing down the pipe (spa flex) makes a loud splashing sound as it travels down. Also the return pump vibrates against the glass. Is there a way to quiet that? I was thinking of some rubber or foam for the pump to sit on. Thanks for the help.

psusocr1

thick rubber mud flaps are excellent for dampening and their also water resistant which means no harm to the tank or water!!

reefriyon

i have the same problem....i have pool flew pretty much the same stuff with the ridges in it. i get a loud noise i think from the hose. i move it around up and down trying to reshape the hose but its still LOUD. what should i do? i tried pvc slip fittings with 90's and its still loud...i have a lot of cotton for the water to splash on and its still loud. raising and lowering the overflow and still same problem. what should i do?

littlebeard

rubber under the pump works well. Make sure it's not touching the glass at all. You may also want to place an old piece of carpet pad under the sump to dampen the noise even more.
For the water, I can only suggest bending the hose to the point where it splashes as little as possible.

reefriyon

im having trouble with this...i think i wanna do the durso standpipe but whats wrong with mine?...i got 3 holes in the pipe with the j tube as well...im having trouble setting it correctly with the air flow...should i drill the hole on the endcap more for more air?

dirtshark

i got a drilled 55 and having the same problem , so if any one has a good ideal on how to stop the water noise from the tank to the sump please post,