Need help To Set up New saltwater tank

dacia

What kind of a tank do you have? What size is it? Do you want a fish only tank or a reef tank? Have you bought anything for it yet, such as a filter, substrate, heater, etc? I think we need a little more info to better help you more.

arkham

My fish tank is a 30 gallon. Its not that big. I'm not sure which tank to choose , reef or fish. Which is better ? ,what is the difference? I've brought every thing already. I'm just not sure how to set it up.

cnlight

If you are just start out, I would go with a fish with live rock tank. On how to set up your tank, it depends on what you have for it. You will probably want to fill the tank with water, mix your salt in there, set up for filter, put your substrate down and then the live rock. We can't tell you how to set it all up when we don't know what you have first. :yes:

ajroc31

I would suggest starting with FO tank, and later you can put some corals in. My best advice for you is to check this board for few weeks before you get anything. Read as many post as possible.

arkham

I brought my heater , Instant Ocean Salt mix, a not so big filter, water conditioner, and some live sand!

ajroc31

What water conditioner? I suggest you stay away from conditioners and use R/O water. What store did you go to in Chicago?

arkham

My water conditioner is Aqua Safe, which i brought at *****. O by the way my filter is a Whisper power 20 .

cnlight

I don't like whisper filters very much, and its not really big enough for your tank. IMO I would get an Aquaclear, and one that is for a bigger tank like 30-40 gallons. I would also recommend a power head for water movement.