Need help upgrading to 210 gallon tank

gc1962

Ok I currently have a 90-gallon reef tank that has been up and running for almost 2 years now and am fixing to upgrade to a 210 gallon 7ft tank. I have several questions regarding this upgrade, to begain with I plan on building a new 75 gallon sump/ref that will go under the tank after all this is complete I plan on filling the tank with new saltwater. Now to the questions, will I have to cycle this tank and wait for this cycle to complete or is there any way to transfer my live rock which I have about 125 pounds in my 90 gallon tank now along with some tank water from the 90 gallon without going through another cycle? I plan on using new sand but could get a little from the established tank if this would help. I just want my corals to make the transfer as smooth as possible without stressing them or my fish out. I plan on using my lights from my 90 gallon tank on the new one also but will have to add 1 more halide. I want to do this the right way so you guys give me some ideas on what would be the best way to make this transition.

btldreef

Originally Posted by gc1962
http:///forum/post/3168403
Ok I currently have a 90-gallon reef tank that has been up and running for almost 2 years now and am fixing to upgrade to a 210 gallon 7ft tank. I have several questions regarding this upgrade, to begain with I plan on building a new 75 gallon sump/ref that will go under the tank after all this is complete I plan on filling the tank with new saltwater. Now to the questions, will I have to cycle this tank and wait for this cycle to complete or is there any way to transfer my live rock which I have about 125 pounds in my 90 gallon tank now along with some tank water from the 90 gallon without going through another cycle? I plan on using new sand but could get a little from the established tank if this would help. I just want my corals to make the transfer as smooth as possible without stressing them or my fish out. I plan on using my lights from my 90 gallon tank on the new one also but will have to add 1 more halide. I want to do this the right way so you guys give me some ideas on what would be the best way to make this transition.
I transferred things from a 40G to a 155G in two days, with new sand. Just had to wait for the new sand to settle. I added a very little bit of the old sand. It's suggested not to use old sand. I happened to be using the same filter/overflow/sump from the 40G (it was overkill in the 40G) so I really wasn't cycling, I was just increasing water volume. So the big question is, are you planning on using a new filter?

gc1962

I will be using a new sump/ref, and that is where all my mechanical filtration will be other than the live rock. I will also be using the same skimmer that I currently am using on my tank I have set up now.

btldreef

Originally Posted by gc1962
http:///forum/post/3168677
I will be using a new sump/ref, and that is where all my mechanical filtration will be other than the live rock. I will also be using the same skimmer that I currently am using on my tank I have set up now.

You can do it.
I should have asked this earlier, can you keep both tanks running at the same time?

i just did the exact thing you are planning, i had a 75 gal and went to the 210 set up. On my old setup i had two filter socks, bio balls, and some cheato. what i did was put the cheato in a zip lock bag and poked some holes in it to allow some water to flow through it. I then put my bio balls in the filter socks and hung them in front of a powerhead to help cycle the water. As for the sand i put it in the refugium in the bottom and used as much of the old water as possible. The transition worked pretty well for me, i lost a monti cap though, it looked great for about a month and just recently bleached out.