Need Help Upgrading to Larger Tank

dacia

I currently have a 55 gallon reef with a Lifereef overflow box leading into a sump which has an ASM protein skimmer and a Magdrive return to the main tank...
I am going to sell my house and move to a larger one this summer, and when I do that, I will be upgrading my tank. I built my own stand, and it is large enough for a 75 gallon tank, which is what I plan on getting. The tank I am looking at has a built in overflow box in the corner of the tank with 2 pre-drilled holes.
I have never used a tank with a built-in overflow, and need some guidance as to how to build the sump with plumbing for this.
First, I am getting rid of my skimmer for something else. The ASM is incredibly noisy, and it is very VERY finicky (adjust it slightly and it skims NOTHING, adjust it slightly the other way and it overflows the cup with just plain water very quickly...very frustrating) I don't want to spend more than about $300 on the skimmer. I was looking at either a Coralife Super Skimmer (for sump use, not for HOB use), Euroreef RS80, or MSX 160. Which of those would be better for my in sump use? I am looking for something powerful enough for my 75 gallon tank without causing a lot of noise and it not so difficult to adjust and clean.
Second, I am confused by the 2 pre-drilled holes in the overflow box. With a built-in overflow, do you return water to the same place it is removed from the tank? Sorry if it's a dumb question, but I told ya I was confused! With my current set-up, the Lifereef overflow box is on the right side of the tank, and I have the return pipe on the complete opposite side. My sump is made from a 30 gallon long fish tank that I set inside the stand, and it is filled up about halfway with water. I want to continue using the 30 gallon tank, but need to know how to set it up with the new system.
Third, I would like to have something available to run activated carbon if needs be, or any other kind of filter media. Right now I have nothing but LR and the noisy skimmer which breaks down too easily (the pump has been replaced twice, too. I don't see why those ASM skimmers are highly recommended, unless mine was just a dud). I was told that canister filters are basically bad for reefs because of the detritus build-up...and since I don't have the 30 gallon tank filled all the way, an HOB filter might not work there. Any other suggestions?
Any tips and advice would be greatly appreciated. I want to have the plans all drawn up and ready before the move so I can just immediately set up the 75 in my new house without setting up and taking down the 55 again.

jdl

Originally Posted by Dacia
http:///forum/post/3013136
Second, I am confused by the 2 pre-drilled holes in the overflow box. With a built-in overflow, do you return water to the same place it is removed from the tank? Sorry if it's a dumb question, but I told ya I was confused! With my current set-up, the Lifereef overflow box is on the right side of the tank, and I have the return pipe on the complete opposite side. My sump is made from a 30 gallon long fish tank that I set inside the stand, and it is filled up about halfway with water. I want to continue using the 30 gallon tank, but need to know how to set it up with the new system.
one hole will most likely be 1" which is your drain line. The other hole will be .75 which is your return. Do you a plumbing kit for it? basically one will be a durso stand pipe (drain).
Third, I would like to have something available to run activated carbon if needs be, or any other kind of filter media. Right now I have nothing but LR and the noisy skimmer which breaks down too easily (the pump has been replaced twice, too. I don't see why those ASM skimmers are highly recommended, unless mine was just a dud). I was told that canister filters are basically bad for reefs because of the detritus build-up...and since I don't have the 30 gallon tank filled all the way, an HOB filter might not work there. Any other suggestions?
check out bulk reef supply for a single reactor. You can run GFO or carbo in them, they are great. Basically a mini canister filter that looks like an RO/DI unit.
Any tips and advice would be greatly appreciated. I want to have the plans all drawn up and ready before the move so I can just immediately set up the 75 in my new house without setting up and taking down the 55 again.
goodluck