Need help wireing and mounting 2 MH's

quads4_lif

Is there any thing I should know when wireing my MH retro kit.
I have an IceCap ballast.
I am trying to decide how to mount my MH retro kit. I have a 100 gal with this canopy. I will have 2 250MH mounted in this canopy. If I mount it like in the first pic I am afraid of having a bad shadow in the middle but I can mount another light in the middle something like a 175 MH or some type of PC or T5. In the second pic I dont think I will have room to mount another light in the middle.
Should I mount it like the first pic or the second?

thegrog

That would depend on where your tank has the center braces. You don't want to mount a MH directly over one of those else it will cast a big shadow AND it may melt the brace.
If you can get another MH light (175 or 150 would work fine) then go with the first one. If not, AND your braces will not interfere, then go with the second option. You can always move the lights at a later date if you upgrade and add a new light.
My $0.02 worth.

thegrog

I would go with option #2 then. Loose the glass covers as they will filter light and trap in heat and your tank will get very hot, very quickly. You can't remove the glass center brace, so no use putting alight over that.
As for mounting the ballasts, they are heavy and would be best not to mount them at all. They also get very hot. Have them on the floor under your stand. Not directly on any carpet though as they do get hot and could potentially cause problems.
Hope this helps!

quads4_lif

I think what I am going to do is build a shelf ontop of my canopy with the back open and house my 2 ballast under it.

thegrog

Originally Posted by quads4_lif
I think what I am going to do is build a shelf ontop of my canopy with the back open and house my 2 ballast under it.
That is still a lot of extra weight that will be placed on the sides of your tank. I would still advise against it....unless the shelf is connected to the wall in some fashon. Then it would be fine.