need help with 10 gallon problems

socks002

OK, my 10 gallon is starting to have problems, the nitrates are ski high, like 80 ppm, test tube came out RED. Also there is this green algy that is taking over my tank. What should i do? I have a skimmer. but its way to big for a 10 gallon, i could set up a table and hook the skimmer up to the tank just long enough to pull out the bad stuff, i guess? lol. Other then that i just did a small water change and i have been cutting back feeding to every other day.

meowzer

continue with the water changes, rinse your food prior to feeding, and cut back too,
What is in this tank as far as fish? CUC?
what is your lighting schedule? I don't run a skimmer on my 10G...

socks002

a small clown fish, 2 purple fire fish, 1 chromis, a perpermint shrimp, a few hurmit crabs, snails. lighting scedual is about 5 to 10 hours a day, and its just one of those marineland single bright led fixtures. I know there is way to much in there so im trying to figure out what to do untill i get my 29 gallon set up and cycled, but that will take months, so maby i need to set up another 10 gallon?? and split up my live stock.

socks002

but remember, all this stuff came out of a 55 gallon i had to break down last year. i would not put all this in a 10 gallon.. im going to do water changes and cut back light and feeding untill i see a change. I just dont want to spend any money because im trying to save up for a car lol.