need help with 55 gallon refugium design

duane C

i have a 55 gallon tank i want to use ase a refugium.... I have a DC pump and a Octopus Needle Wheel protien skimmer, and a 35watt UV system and 2-4" x 8" 200 micro socks....

flower

i have a 55 gallon tank i want to use ase a refugium.... I have a DC pump and a Octopus Needle Wheel protien skimmer, and a 35watt UV system and 2-4" x 8" 200 micro socks....
Are planning on setting up a sump with a refugium chamber? That's more what it sound like. A refugium wouldn't need a skimmer, and certainly not a UV light, which kills the tiny critters you want to live in a refugium.

duane C

That is correct..see several set ups on the Internet and not sure which is better. .the skimmer will be before the refugium. ....UV between the inlet and outlets

pegasus

Are planning on setting up a sump with a refugium chamber? That's more what it sound like. A refugium wouldn't need a skimmer, and certainly not a UV light, which kills the tiny critters you want to live in a refugium.
Hi, flower. Not to be argumentative, but I have a skimmer, refugium, and UV sterilizer in the same box. Skimmer in the first chamber (where the drains are, duane), the center chamber has a bed of Miracle Mud, live rock rubble, and Chaeto. The final chamber holds the return pumps and a UV sterilizer. I put it in the final chamber because I have a filter pad between the refugium and the return chamber, and this is where the cleanest water is. The UV's pump is in the back of the chamber, and the return line drains in front of the tanks return pumps (I have two tanks). I also have a pump and return in the final chamber for my dual GFO reactor... and another pump and return line for my remote deep sand bed.

Yes, critters will be killed by the UV, but it'll mostly kill bacteria, parasites, and algae spores. I don't believe the 1/2", low-flow intake to the sterilizer is going to make a noticeable impact on the pod population. They're far more likely to get sucked into the two 3/4", high-flow return pump intakes than into the sterilizer. Even if they did take a cruise through the sterilizer, they'll end up in the DT as food for the critters. You certainly don't want the sterilizer pump in the refugium section, as this would decimate your pod population in no time. The ideal place for it would be in the skimmer chamber, but you'll definitely need to use fiber socks on the drain lines, and a foam filter on the pump. UV sterilizers are most efficient if they're clean. Since I dumped the filter socks long ago, and mounting the UV directly to my tank isn't an option, the return chamber is pretty much my only choice. If/when I get my hair algae defeated, I'm going to put my UV on a timer and run it 50/50.

flower

Pegasus, I feel I need to warn you, if you ever get a hint of hair algae that miracle mud is going to make it absolutely impossible to get rid of. That stuff feeds macros like nothing else on the market, it kind of makes no sense to use it since the whole reason for macros is to absorb the phosphate, nitrates and whatever else out of the water, and make it pristine...by using miracle mud you feed the macros instead of have it absorb it out of your system. It's a lot like running a chiller and heater at the same time, they cancel each other out. Miracle mud is loaded with phosphate and nitrates to feed plants...it's a fertilizer.

As for in the same "box" you have different chambers. A sump with a refugium is all in the same "box' but each section is a chamber. I have never found a single person who thinks UVs are of any use, it does kill your tiny critters, not all of them...but why intentionally kill any of them? Going through the skimmer or return doesn't hurt them, they do get pushed to the display to become yummy treats for the fish. The UV, much like the miracle mud, is a waste to have, and actually bad for your tank. It won't crash it, it's just not really useful.

flower

That is correct..see several set ups on the Internet and not sure which is better. .the skimmer will be before the refugium. ....UV between the inlet and outlets

My skimmer was on one end, and my refugium on the opposite side, I have seen some people put the refugium section in the center. I guess it really doesn't matter, the fact you have a sump/refugium is going to help your tank. The micro socks are a huge pain to keep swapping and cleaning, I opted for a HOB to catch the large stuff instead...but that's because my back is bad and all the leaning over was too much for me. The UV is a waste of your money, if you can return it do so.

Folks like Snakeblitz can help you with the right size return pump that you would need. A 55g will make an awesome sump/refugium

duane C

thank you, but i have a DC-9000 Max Flow 2377 GPH pump with an adjustable pump rate... much quieter and better control...i have 2- 1" drains out of tank and a 1 1/4" feed line back to tank and splits into 2-1" lines at the tank..im just looking for a plan for the tank itself...where to put the acrylic panels...will be useing black acrylic for refugium walls... there is quit a lot of different opinions on the arangements...

pegasus

I believe you're right about the Miracle Mud, flower. It's coming time to replace it, and that's when the new bags of Fiji Pink sand will be put to use. I bought into the hype that MM adds trace minerals, stabilizes, pH, etc., and yes... I have "hints" of hair algae. Actually, it way more than hints. The MM won't be there much longer. Besides, it's a pain having to change 50% of it every six months. Makes a really big mess...