Need Help with a Stand Build

nysharkbait

I'm building a stand to hold a tank that's 72''x18''x22'', 125g. I want to make sure that the stand will be able to hold 1500+ lbs. I'm placing cross supports at 18 1/4'' on center, making (including the ends) 5 cross supports on top and bottom, which I'm sure is plenty. Now, I'm going to have a 25'' skimmer and 30 gallon sump under the tank, so I'd like to keep the middle of three doors larger for easy access. In order to accomplish that, I'll have to run 2x4's from the second and fourth (from left to right) from top to bottom, leaving the third (middle) support, with-out top-bottom support.
My questions, if you're still with me, is; 1. Will leaving the center open over the 73'' span be ok, and 2. Will 2x4's work or will I need to use 4x4's or 2x6s? Any help from experienced builders would be great. Thanks.

nysharkbait

Sorry for the lame picture. This is a frontal view. The red line is the top and bottom boards. The green dots are the cross supports. The blue lines are the ends. The yellow lines are the top to bottom supports. Each will have one in front and one in back. "A" is 17 1/2'' from the inside edge of the end to the center of the support. Figured a picture may help.

E

eric b 125

i wouldnt leave the entire top of the stand open. i have the same tank as you and my stand has a center brace going across the top.

nysharkbait

If anybody has a diagram I could work with for a canopy and suggest the best plywood to stain to look "fancy", I'd be grateful.

small triggers

you can buy oak or any ply (real ply not osb) at HD or Lowes,,, juut look at it, maybe take a cup of water in with you with a napkin and rub a little on to see how it will look wet (this is what we do with wood anyways before you stain it...makes the pores accept more stain evenly) Birch is nice but there are many different kinds and are different around the country..

small triggers

here is what i did, i have a 5ft wide, 28 inch deep tank..I did run 2x4s along the center brace with deck bracets for more stability

nysharkbait

Thanks. I got my layout made for the stand, now I need to find a good canopy lay out. Looking for a flip top that I can mount my lights into.

btldreef

Originally Posted by NySharkBait
http:///forum/post/3176282
Thanks. I got my layout made for the stand, now I need to find a good canopy lay out. Looking for a flip top that I can mount my lights into.

I don't have a canopy because the lights get too hot, and I don't feel like running a million fans, just a thought.