need help with a sump

funw/fish

I am new to the sump thing. I have been runing wet/dry HOB for 8 years in FOWBR. I have add 35lb of live rock and will set up a sump i think. i have a 62 gal tank and was going to put a 10 gal sump on filter will be bio rock. what am I missing, also plumping how long show pcv pipe glue cure or should i not use the glue?

spiked09

Originally Posted by funw/fish
http:///forum/post/2593406
I am new to the sump thing. I have been runing wet/dry HOB for 8 years in FOWBR. I have add 35lb of live rock and will set up a sump i think. i have a 62 gal tank and was going to put a 10 gal sump on filter will be bio rock. what am I missing, also plumping how long show pcv pipe glue cure or should i not use the glue?
I don't have any experience with bio rock so I cannot offer and advice there.
As far as PVC pipe glues goes you must use it. I would let it cure for 24 hrs when ever possible. It will not harm any of your livestock, it's perfectly safe.

fishfreak1242

To add to what spiked said, you have to glue your PVC even if you think its a tight fit, it can and will leak. Also make sure you get all three parts of the glue which is the cleaner, primer them cement. When I set up my sump I decided to just use the cement and I ended up having many leaks and had to smother all of the connections with glue and it still leaks. Also, when you are glueing the PVC, you should see glue come out of the connections when you glue it toghether, that means that you put more than enough and you will be fine.

funw/fish

thanks for the replys I have done a lot of plumbing stuff but was unsure of the safty of the glue most of my plumbing line is clear flex pipe with pipe clamps

funw/fish

what i relly want to know now is what is needed for a soump what type of filters and how often the water should turn? should i use carbon or floss or bio or all ? plajnts or bio balls please help me this is a rto fit on exsiting tank should i leave my hob filters on for a week or is that a bad idea?