Need help with algae

cipher43

Hello all its been awhile since I have been on here. I talked to my parents last night and they have been having trouble with there tank. She has an algae scrubber and it is growing great. A few months ago her scrubber had some issues because the of her scrubber lights being weak, now she has some high power LED lights that are making it grow well and turning things around. She tested her water and has no nitrates or nitrites and a small amount of phosphates that she is trying to take care of. Her main issue she is having is the tank has been growing large amounts of a fern type algae in the display and it is killing off some of her soft corals. Her hard coral frags I have given her and her leather coral looks great but everything else is getting choked out it seems. Are there any fish/inverts she can buy to eat most of it off because right now she has been trying to pull most of it and still isn't able to get it all?

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cipher43 http:///t/394617/need-help-with-algae#post_3512275
Hello all its been awhile since I have been on here. I talked to my parents last night and they have been having trouble with there tank. She has an algae scrubber and it is growing great. A few months ago her scrubber had some issues because the of her scrubber lights being weak, now she has some high power LED lights that are making it grow well and turning things around. She tested her water and has no nitrates or nitrites and a small amount of phosphates that she is trying to take care of. Her main issue she is having is the tank has been growing large amounts of a fern type algae in the display and it is killing off some of her soft corals. Her hard coral frags I have given her and her leather coral looks great but everything else is getting choked out it seems. Are there any fish/inverts she can buy to eat most of it off because right now she has been trying to pull most of it and still isn't able to get it all?
Hi,
If her algae scrubber was doing what it's supposed to, she shouldn't have any Nitrates or Phosphates. It's a given in an established tank to not have Nitrites since that would indicate an Ammonia spike somewhere.
Growing on the rocks or the sand? A picture would help to make a positive identity.
Either way, bad algae is bad algae.....I'm going to take a leap and say what she is dealing with feeds on extra nutrients in the system, I'm afraid what the corals feed on...the algae does as well. What the corals don't absorb becomes an algae feast. I suspect overfeeding may be the cause of this issue, and with the weak lights you mentioned.... allowed the phosphates to build up...which also feeds the bad algae.
I would do some weekly water changes with RO mixed saltwater (added just in case she uses tap water). Also keep the algae scrubber cleaned once a week, as it is supposed be, and it should clear up the algae by starving it out. Try spot feeding the corals not as heavy until the algae scrubber can do it's job.
Others may chime in with better info, all I can tell you is what I would do.

snakeblitz33

We need to make a distinction between what might be a species of caulerpa - or a nuisance algae like bryopsis, before we really can speculate on how to get rid of it.
First, we need a picture of the whole tank and then a species specific picture of the algae. Then, we can offer advice on how to proceed. Different algaes have different methods of removal.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cipher43 http:///t/394617/need-help-with-algae#post_3512289
Thanks for the quick replys. I will have her take those pictures tonight so we can post them.
Snake to the rescue...You're in good hands now. He knows all about the algae scrubber.

Oh...and since it's been a while since you were around...you don't only have to post problems, this is a great place to just chat about SW fish and your tank. I hope you decide to hang around and be friends.

cipher43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///t/394617/need-help-with-algae#post_3512292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cipher43
http:///t/394617/need-help-with-algae#post_3512289
Thanks for the quick replys. I will have her take those pictures tonight so we can post them.
Snake to the rescue...You're in good hands now. He knows all about the algae scrubber.

Oh...and since it's been a while since you were around...you don't only have to post problems, this is a great place to just chat about SW fish and your tank. I hope you decide to hang around and be friends.
Oh I plan on coming back but I have been working with a new project (acquired my Grandpas old pickup so now I'm getting things ready to work on it) so not much has been going on with my tank, besides what I put in my build thread.

S

saxman

Does the algae in question look like this stuff?

If so, it is Caulerpa taxifolia or one of its variants. Very fast-growing and invasive...it is classified as a "noxious weed", and is actually illegal in many states or locales. It's gonna be tuff to get rid of if this is what you have. We use the stuff in our FOWLR setups for nutrient export, which it is very good at.

cipher43

So does anyone have any ideas with what is pictured. She just bought a lawnmower blenny and he apparently is starting to take some interest on the stuff but is there another option just in case?

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cipher43 http:///t/394617/need-help-with-algae#post_3512456
So does anyone have any ideas with what is pictured. She just bought a lawnmower blenny and he apparently is starting to take some interest on the stuff but is there another option just in case?
Hi,
A sea hare...a diadema urchin....a Lemonpeel dwarf angelfish.

• A sea hare will mow it down, but will starve after it's cleared up...they are very ticky about parameters.

• A black spike (diadema) urchin will mow down all algea including the coraline, then die of starvation.
    The lemonpeel MIGHT nip LPS corals (mine didn't, but some do, so you would have to watch to see if you got a nipper or not.
    Other dwarf angelfish may eat hair algae as well, I have only had the lemonpeel when I had hair algae....sadly you can only have on angelfish in a tank, they fight to the death.
The BEST way to be rid of hair algae is to do small daily or weekly water changes, instaed of once a month. Also cut down on food..... don't overfeed the coral or fish, whatever is left over the algae feeds on it.

S

saxman

I'm thinking Bryopsis...hard to deal with, as not many critters eat the stuff.