Need help with an ID please!

na-h2o

Hello all,
I was over at the beach today looking around for star fish and found several snail like creatures. They appear to be some kind of snail but I am not sure. I don't have a pic but I will try to descibe it. Here goes:
They are in a long spiral shaped shell that comes to a sharp point at the end. The have what appears to be a large foot the they use to drag themselves along the sand. On the top of the foot is a projection that looks like some sort of antennea or mayber an eye? They also like to bury themselves in the sand in a long pencil shapes tunnel.
I know this is a rough description but its the best I can do.
Can anyone ID this creature.

na-h2o

Hi,
They range in size from about 3/4 inch to maybe 1 1/4 inch. I have never seen them before and I have lived here for twenty years. I am not sure if they are conchs. They were everywhere at the waters edge.
I know I have not given a lot to go on.
T

na-h2o

Hi j21kickster,
I guess i have never seen small conchs before. The shell is only 5/16 of an inch in circumference and slightly larger on the longer ones.
There were hundreds of them in the surf. Do conchs burrow into pencil like tunnels in the sand?
T

na-h2o

fshhub,
I just looked at the photo's and those pictured are much much bigger around than the ones I have.
T