Need help with closed loop syetem.

adamc1303

The water goes from the overflow into the sump. So if the pump fails the water starts emptying out from the tank, but the over flow is only a few inches lower than the regular water level. Once the water is below that level there is no way for it to "overflow" into the overlfow box down to the sump, which in term means it can not leak. You just need to make sure that once you do shut the pump off when the water does get a little lower and the water level in the sump gets higher that there is enough room in the sump to handle the 3 or 4 gallons in addition to the water already there. I tried to make it simple hope I helped. I would recommend a 20 gallon long though if you have the space.

adamc1303

It would but it is extremeley deep, it is like 2 10 gallons one on top of the other and it with just make it harder to work with. A 20 or a 15 is your best bet.

reeferdc

im going to go with the 15g the problem is I cant fint a 20 under my tank.
how much GPH would an overflow need to be for a 75 gallon FO tank??? 800??

squidd

Looks like you getting your questions answered...

My understanding is the first pic. is the plumbing for a Closed Loop water recirculating system (minus the pump)
And what your looking for is an Overflow/Sump/Return pump system...
About 800 gph would be a good "rating" for an overflow for your 75 tank...and with a Mag 9.5 or so return pump, you would get approx 600 or so gph flow back to tank from sump..
I believe you will "STILL" want more flow in the tank for circulation purposes and may want to look into the Closed Loop system for that...
You will NOT be able to get all the flow needed from your sump return that the Aggressive tank needs...the limiting factor being the small sump under the tank will not be able to handle much more flow than the 600 or so already planned...

reeferdc

ok. The last thing is my filter is a canister filter.. For the return pump can I put the end that sucks the water up in the sump and put the return end in my display?? This would make it much easyer but would it work??

cdubbs

im confused...do u have a wet/dry with a sump AND a canister filter? or just a canister filter?

squidd

can I put the end that sucks the water up in the sump and put the return end in my display??
No...
Canister filters are set up with low pressure "circulation" pumps (water "down"= water "up") and will be VERY ineffective at "pushing" water up from sump...

mpls man

Originally Posted by reeferDC
thanks so much... can someone please email me a link on where to buy a HOB overflow? quickshot06897@yahoo.com
THANKS A TON!
look in the classified section, there's 1 for sale, a cpr cs102 overflow, just saw it for sale, dont know if sold yet or if will work for your tank, i have the same for my tank.

squidd

what gph would you guys recomend on an overflow for a 75 gallon FO tank????

#26 (check post number, upper right hand corner)