Need help with corals

jursula

I am not sure what is going on in my tank, I had several different corals and they keep dying. At the same time, I have zoos (three different kinds), polyps and mushrooms that looks great and getting bigger and bigger every day. I had zenia, hammer, frogspawn and leather died within 3 months when all others are fine. I checked my water and its within the norm. I have my tank running for over 2 years and it has been stable. I also add special calcium for the corals every two weeks or so.
What am I doing wrong?

N

nereef

lighting? : how many watts of what type of light over how big of a tank
what are your other specific water parameters including: pH, Nitrates, alk, calcium, temp, s.g.?
what is your turnover rate in terms of times per hour?

jursula

Originally Posted by NEreef
http:///forum/post/2719608
lighting? : how many watts of what type of light over how big of a tank
what are your other specific water parameters including: pH, Nitrates, alk, calcium, temp, s.g.?
what is your turnover rate in terms of times per hour?
I have metal hallide in my tank. Tank is 65G. Temperature is about 78-79, nitrates, nitrits and ammonia - 0, Ph I dont remember but it was in the safe zone on the measurement scale, can check it again. I have two large power heads inside, and overflw with sump, return pump etc. You think, I dont have anough water flow?
I also have plate coral and sun corals and they do great. I thought that sun corals were delicate.

fathom01

I just started a saltwater aquarium about 5 months ago. I have placed live Rock and even added a sump and powerheads. I would say that it has a good flow of water and oxygen. The tank has live sand. All my expensive fish keep on dying and my hammer and frogspawns keep dying. My feather duster is fine. I even have a dragon goby that shifts my sand, and a sally crab that cleans my tank well. I try not to clean it so much so all the good bacteria can build. My ph levels and calcium are good the light is good. I have two large aquarium lights for reef the blue and white light. My mushrooms never opened. What am I doing wrong?

fathom01

I was told to use regular water and treat it with Aqua Safe water conditioner and let it sit and then I add the Instant Ocean mix as directed.

fathom01

Since I started my tank My blue damsel is still alive. I was thinking could it be that my tank is still young, but the brown stuff that grows on the wall grows quick after I clean it.

nycbob

tap water isnt good at all. that is probably why u could keep the easy stuff and not the more sensitive corals. i'd say stop using tap water. try to invest in a ro unit for about $150.

shrimpi

are you purchasing all the coral from the same store? some stores suck.. it could be the source .. not your tank.

candycane

It could be the fact the tank is two years old and has what seems like a lot of "####toxin" releasing corals in it that like to defend their territory? What filtration are you running on it? I would be just REALLY REALLY surprised if you said carbon, or something like Renew. If you are running carbon, do you have a pic of the tank that shows how large the corals are and how much space they are using?
I can't seem to find a water test for any areas of your state.

jursula

Originally Posted by nycbob
http:///forum/post/2723425
tap water isnt good at all. that is probably why u could keep the easy stuff and not the more sensitive corals. i'd say stop using tap water. try to invest in a ro unit for about $150.
I am using water from RO unit, we have huge filter in one sink (that we drink from), and central filter for the whole house. I am putting water in the tank the same one that we drink. :(

jursula

Originally Posted by Shrimpi
http:///forum/post/2724073
are you purchasing all the coral from the same store? some stores suck.. it could be the source .. not your tank.
As far as I remember, I got my corals from online store, from my local retailer (2 retailers) and from other people around. So, I guess its something with my tank. Thank you very much for the feedback. I feel so frustrated and it makes me feel much better to be able to ask other people for advice.

jursula

Originally Posted by candycane
http:///forum/post/2725094
It could be the fact the tank is two years old and has what seems like a lot of "####toxin" releasing corals in it that like to defend their territory? What filtration are you running on it? I would be just REALLY REALLY surprised if you said carbon, or something like Renew. If you are running carbon, do you have a pic of the tank that shows how large the corals are and how much space they are using?
I can't seem to find a water test for any areas of your state.
I was thinking that filtration could be a problem.
In the beginning when I just started the tank, I had canister filter running for couple months, and then I just disconnected it and only had a sump, live rock, skimmer, and one mangrove in the sump (which I dont have any more). When my first corals started to die, I put my eheim filter back on, and it is still running, but I am not sure if its helping.
I will try to take pix of my tank, my camera is kind of old, thats why I usually dont get the best picture.
What do you think filtration should be?
Thank you

candycane

I like Marineland Emperor Hang On filters. They hang off the back a bit, but they usually come with larger mechanical (shells) that can be packed with carbon as long as the carbon is large enough. I use Seachem Matrix Carbon. I got tired of buying it container by container so purchased this like HUGE bucket of it that is around 4 liters.

jursula

http:///forum/post/2726342
I like Marineland Emperor Hang On filters. They hang off the back a bit, but they usually come with larger mechanical (shells) that can be packed with carbon as long as the carbon is large enough. I use Seachem Matrix Carbon. I got tired of buying it container by container so purchased this like HUGE bucket of it that is around 4 liters.
Thank you. I wil check them out.
I have carbon department in my eheim but it is not too big, just like one layer on the bottom.

jursula

http:///forum/post/2726342
So, with the carbon filter, you dont have any problems in your tank? Do you have a sump?

candycane

Carbon does filter out a good deal of the toxins along with solid water movement. I would guess that in your 65, you have a decent amount of water movement; probably two powerheads? (or one big one). If it is coral toxicity, running carbon should straighten it out pretty quick.

jursula

http:///forum/post/2726748
Carbon does filter out a good deal of the toxins along with solid water movement. I would guess that in your 65, you have a decent amount of water movement; probably two powerheads? (or one big one). If it is coral toxicity, running carbon should straighten it out pretty quick.
Yep. I have two powerheads, one large, and one smaller, and two return pipes from the sump have some water movement.
Thank you