Need help with flatworms

tangman99

I am dealing with my first ever problem with flatworms. I am not sure what type they are though. I have seen the description of bad red planaria and I'm not sure if that is what I have. My digital camera is getting repaired so I can't get a picture.
The largest are about 1/4 inch long and round on one end and like two round ends on the other end with a v shape between them. I wish I could think of a better explanation. They are a pink or almost purple color and I thought they were coraline algea before I saw one move around. The only place I see them are on my mushrooms and there are quite a few of them.
Attached is a simple drawing that resembles the shape and color of whatever it is all over my mushrooms. I've heard a six line wrass is good for getting rid of the them. Is that a good idea? I don't want to use flatworm exit unless I have too due to the risk of them polluting and killing my live stock.
Thanks for any help.

nicky1.8t

some wrasses will eat them, but they multiply very fast. They could take your tank over fast! I know you dont want to use flat worm exit, but I would think about. I would rather take a chance with losing some shrimp or something, instead of a whole reef.

njfish77

drawing looks like something else, not a flatworm
J/K anyways ive never heard of purple flatworms best bet would be get a pic somehowO(the shape description does sound like them thow

tangman99

Originally Posted by njfish77
drawing looks like something else, not a flatworm
J/K anyways ive never heard of purple flatworms best bet would be get a pic somehowO(the shape description does sound like them thow
Yeah, I almost used "that" as a description of one ran over by a truck, but I came to my senses before I hit the submit button. They have to be a flatwork because they are paper thin. I noticed them a few weeks ago and it does appear that I have more now, but they seem to confine themselves to my shrooms. There are none on my devils hand and I can't see any on the live rock.

funkyman

Ahhhhgghhh!! It's an outbreak of.....of......
ZEPLINS !!!

Seriously though, Flat Worm Exit is an excellent product. Follow the directions very closely, and everything will turn out fine. When I used it, I did it a second time 3 or 4 days after the initial treatment to get any stragglers.

viper_930

I've used Salifert's flatworm exit, and I still have the red planarias. I've heard of people using 2-4 times the recommended dosage with 100% flatworm dieoff. I used the recommended dosage and the only side-effect was that my SPS corals browned out, but I believe it's because my water change wasn't big enough; I only did a 15% water change. Something closer to 30-50% would have been much better. JME
TangMan99, change your avatar to something more appropriate. Thx

tangman99

Originally Posted by ViPeR_930
I've used Salifert's flatworm exit, and I still have the red planarias. I've heard of people using 2-4 times the recommended dosage with 100% flatworm dieoff. I used the recommended dosage and the only side-effect was that my SPS corals browned out, but I believe it's because my water change wasn't big enough; I only did a 15% water change. Something closer to 30-50% would have been much better. JME
TangMan99, change your avatar to something more appropriate. Thx
I also heard to use a lot of carbon also to help clear the water. I'm just not sure yet.
About my avatar, I have had that avatar for 3 or 4 months and no one has said anything about it. I have only been posting in the Aquarium lately so I have not been in the regular forums. I'll go ahead and change it though.

chipmaker

Spend a bit of time with a turkey baster and you will be surprised how many can be sucked out of the tank in short order. I stick a iece of hard airline tube 8in the end of a typical turkey baster so it has more added length to it, and hang a brine shrimp net over the edge of the tank, and start sucking up those flat worms, and empty it into the brine shrimp net which serves as a filter to retaiin them and allow the water to flow back into the tank.Any of the flat worm remidies dealing with chemicals would be my last resort.

gtiguy

A sixline wrasse ate all my nuisant flatworms as soon as i got him home, but he was so small in my 65 he dissappeared after a week, =(

benter

I used a blue velvet nudibranch, and rigged an airline tubing as a siphon hose and sucked them into a bucket. The airline tubing flow was slow, so it gave me quite a bit of time to suck them out. In 1 gallon of water you would be surprised how many you can get. The slug finished the rest off..

tangman99

I hooked up a tube today with a media bag over the end and syphoned off my mushrooms. I got a lot of them but there are many more. I may pick up a 6 line wrass tomorrow and see how he does. I'm not really sure if I'm going to use the Flatworm exit yet or not. I'm thinking it may be a good idea before I get too many.