need help with fuge

kclester

Ok i have a 20 gallon display tank is it possible to make a fuge with 2 maxi jet 1200's and a 5 gallon tank ? Or does anyone else have any ides on something i may be able to do WITHOUT drilling my tank

slice

Have you considered a HOB fuge? There are several available. I will have mine soon (pending piggy bank approval).

beaslbob

Originally Posted by kclester
http:///forum/post/3287899
Ok i have a 20 gallon display tank is it possible to make a fuge with 2 maxi jet 1200's and a 5 gallon tank ? Or does anyone else have any ides on something i may be able to do WITHOUT drilling my tank
If you mean one powerhead to the fug and another returning to the tank. NO!!!!!!!!!!!
Use both power heads to pump from the lower container to the upper container and let the upper container gravity drain to the lower. That is the only way to get things balanced out.
There are PVC overflows you can do very inexpensively to you don't have to drill that tank.
see: https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/vb/s...illing-my-tank
You might consider a plastic storage container that is above (even just a few inches) the tank. that way you could just drill a hole in the plastic and use pvc to drain back to the tank. then just use the powerheads to pump water to the container.
I make a "bulkhead" from reducing bushings and reducing male adaptors. Check those out at you local building supply places.
Who knows. Could be all the interesting stuff in you fuge will impress visitors as much as the display.

my .02

kclester

ok i have a 1.5 gallon beta tank laying around the house it would be perfecte fuge.....all i plan on haveing in the fuge is sand and chaeto........can someone help me with getting this rigged up some how ? I do not want to drill the display but i would consider drilling the beta tank if needed. i just got my display setup so i really want to get this fuge working asap.......and it needs to be so that if my power goes out or something my house doesnt get flooded

2quills

Maybe you can ask Flower to show you how she made a fuge inside of her DT from Beaslbobs recommendations. IMO it would be the easiest and cheapest way to go for you to get started. She made a simple containment area inside of her tank using some eggcrate that just holds the chaeto I believe. Ask her if she can show you a pic.

beaslbob

Originally Posted by kclester
http:///forum/post/3288294
no one ?
Sorry about a late respones.
Some people tank an old HOB filter and just put the chaeto where the filter material would have been.
Not that you actually want to do that but I hope it helps you visualize the concept.
As long as the refugium is just a little higher than the tank you chould have no more danger of floods then a HOB filter.
my .02

S

saxman

we bought a cracked HOB fuge for peanuts, patched it, and now use it as a fuge/grow out setup (you can see a baby waspfish sitting on the bottom).

as you can see, it would be pretty simple to DIY one and plumb it to the DT. a small PH sits inside the DT, pumps water over the top, which goes into a partitioned section and back over the top and int to the DT. the LR rubble in this section was to prevent the fish from going over the falls and into the DT (i replaced it with a piece of "plastic canvas" later).
HTH