Need help with ID

polka

Yet another unknown. What is this and how do I get it under control. It's taking over my tank.

polka

Seriously!!!! I had aptasia before but they didn't look like this. Is this another strain??? Good Lord what a nightmare if it is!!!!!!
Does anyone have any idea how I can get rid of such a bloom they are all over the tank, this pic is just a small portion.
Thanks!!!

perfectdark

OMG
There is another person here that has an issue with it too. I thought they had it bad... WOW thats alot.. There is a specific type if nudibranch that feeds on them the berghia nudibranch , and exclusivley them. Joes juice works really really good too. Aiptasia has a few different morphs to it but IMO its def Aiptasia.

reefkprz

um... WOW! thats probably the worst case of aiptasia overrun I have ever seen. I do not envy the battle you are faced with trying to get that back under controll.
I would reccomend getting some berghia veruciciornis. once they breed enough and consume most of the aip sell off most of them keeping a couple to finish the job. once they finish sell them too if you can catch them before they starve.

polka

thank you all for your wonderful advice!!! I am ordering some nudibranch today. They should be very happy. I'll let you know how it goes!

b bauer

Originally Posted by Polka
thank you all for your wonderful advice!!! I am ordering some nudibranch today. They should be very happy. I'll let you know how it goes!
and FAT

reefkprz

when you get them, acclimate them very slowly, make sure your intakes on your powerheads are all protected with sponge prefilters to keep them alive, and dont drop them onto the aiptasia. let them find them on their own. if you drop them onto the aip, it will eat the nudibranch.

polka

new wrinkle. Now I'm being told by web site that sells the nudibranch, that these are mojana. The nudibranch dont eat those. She recomends a racoon butterfly fish. But I have other things in the tank that might be more tasty. So I'm really confused, concerned and frustrated.
Any comments????

michaeltx

can you get a close up pick of one of them. from the pick they look like they could be either or but look more like manjanoe to me.
Mike

michaeltx

joes juice will work but they are manjanoe anemones instead of apistia in my opinion.
you caould also try useing kalk poweder and a syringe and injecting them with it or pickling lime.
Mike

zeroc

yeah, manjano. Joes Juice will take care of them. Biggest problem is keeping on top of it. Keep a syringe full next to your aquarium and whenever you see one get it right then and there.

polka

Okay, I ordered "Joes Juice" applied to whatever this is and it didn't die so it's not aptaisia. I had been told it might be Mojanos and that a racoon butterfly fish would take care of them. Problem is, won't the racoon eat my other "good" corals???
Any advice is appreciated!!!!

groupergenius

Originally Posted by Polka
Okay, I ordered "Joes Juice" applied to whatever this is and it didn't die so it's not aptaisia. I had been told it might be Mojanos and that a racoon butterfly fish would take care of them. Problem is, won't the racoon eat my other "good" corals???
Any advice is appreciated!!!!

Something that has worked for me is boiling water, use a syringe to insert the boiling water into the anemone. Kinda nasty as the guts boil out, but it kills them.
There are so many in your tank I'm afraid killing a bunch of those at one time would spike your water something fierce. If you find something that will eat them and not your other stuff, that may be your best option. Besides getting the rock out of the water and treating somehow.