need help with light purchase.

coastie81

I poseted this in the lighting section with no response.
I am picking up my 110 monday. I have PC lighting on my 55 that I will be transfering over as well. My question is I want to purchase the 48" nova extreme pro 6 bulb. The new tank dimensions are 48"x18"x30". Will this light be able to keep pretty much any corals. I have mushrooms, zoo's, frogspawn and leathers right now but I want to try SPS. Can this light handle SPS even if I put them about midway up?
Thanks for reading and helping out I can always count on you people here.

nycbob

yes anything u want. some more light demanding sps will need to be put at top half of tank. i hv it over a 72. u'd change out the bulbs after 3-5 months to giesemann, uvi or ati. u will get much better light and colors.

sickboy

I have heard that any tank over 24" tall should have Halides b/c they will penetrate the entire depth, but if you want to go the T5 route, you could just make sure to keep the corals off the bottom.
T5's are great, as you can tell from nycbob's awesome tank. I like mine as well.

coastie81

Originally Posted by sickboy
http:///forum/post/2829142
I have heard that any tank over 24" tall should have Halides b/c they will penetrate the entire depth, but if you want to go the T5 route, you could just make sure to keep the corals off the bottom.
T5's are great, as you can tell from nycbob's awesome tank. I like mine as well.
thanks anyone else have any input?

coastie81

NYCBOB- how deep is your tank? I have read on alot of website that the nova extreme pro 48" 6 bulb will not really work for a 110 with dimensions 48"x18"x30" some one please help me out here, I cannot affor a brand new MH setup right now.

big

Originally Posted by sickboy
http:///forum/post/2829142
I think a lot of folks have a misconception at to lights and tanks sizes........... Regardless as to a total water depth of any one given tank. The distance down to any given coral from the light source is maybe a more relevant factor to consider. In other words the distance from the light to the coral and how much water the light needs to penetrate are maybe more important things to think about.
Yes T-5's will not penetrate as well as MH do in a deeper tank, nor will they have that shimmering effect we all like.
But if your Live Rock mountains are within several inches of the water surface. Good reflector's on a sufficient number of T-5's will allow you to keep most anything on the higher spots in the tank.......... Without that never ending issue or unwanted heat of MH in the warmer seasons........
So if using the T-5's on a large or deep tank, do what nature does, have the low light corals at the bottom and the ones with higher light requirements higher as they should be..... Just my .02. cents worth.............BTW Nice shot Bob, I like that one!!

coastie81

Originally Posted by big
http:///forum/post/2829596
I think a lot of folks have a misconception at to lights and tanks sizes........... Regardless as to a total water depth of any one given tank. The distance down to any given coral from the light source is maybe a more relevant factor to consider. In other words the distance from the light to the coral and how much water the light needs to penetrate are maybe more important things to think about.
Yes T-5's will not penetrate as well as MH do in a deeper tank, nor will they have that shimmering effect we all like.
But if your Live Rock mountains are within several inches of the water surface. Good reflector's on a sufficient number of T-5's will allow you to keep most anything on the higher spots in the tank.......... Without that never ending issue or unwanted heat of MH in the warmer seasons........
So if using the T-5's on a large or deep tank, do what nature does, have the low light corals at the bottom and the ones with higher light requirements higher as they should be..... Just my .02. cents worth.............BTW Nice shot Bob, I like that one!!
thanks for the input

nycbob

well its a 72 bowfront. not really sure the depth unless i measure it, once i get home. i think its about 28 inches? but the derasa clam, more than 2 feet away is doing great, so i dont think u need to worry whether the nova pro is sufficient enough.

big

Originally Posted by nycbob
http:///forum/post/2829738
well its a 72 bowfront. not really sure the depth unless i measure it, once i get home. i think its about 28 inches? but the derasa clam, more than 2 feet away is doing great, so i dont think u need to worry.

I may move my Deresa down a bit, if your Derasa is doing well down there.
Bob just walked over and checked my 72 ... It is 23" deep......One of the joys of retrirement!!!!!!!!........