need help with lionfish and eels please

blknght

i am setting up a reef tank and i want to do eels and lionfish would love to talk with somebody who does these fish and pick their brain about their setup

S

simm

Iv got a lion and eel together. Had not problems. The lion pretty much ignores him. Theyare in a 55 right now but fixing to move them to a 100.

S

sebae0

i have a 13" lion and a 30" eel in a 135gal now for about 3yrs with no problems. they pretty much ignore each other until feeding time. because the eel doesn't see to good the lion sometimes steals his food. hth pic of lion.

blknght

thanks for the help i am planning on a chain lin keel or a snowflake eel or a zebra eel and a volitan lion and an antenetta lion in a 90 or 100 gallon reef tank

Eels and lions are in a sense reef safe. But you will have to keep good tabs on your water quality with those big predators in the tank. Big fish , big waste, Bad water. Corals need real good conditions to thrive, your going to need a real good filtering system.

blknght

well what i plan on doing is running 2 protein skimmers and a cannister filter on this tank had a friend give me 2 red sea protein skimmers and a magnum 350 cannister filter so i figure that and 2 reverse powerheads on an undergravel filter outta do it

blknght

one other question i had was what you guys are feeding your lions a friend of mine said he feeds his ghost shrimp and silversides but figured i would get a few other comments on that

S

sebae0

don't use a undergravel filter on it, too ineffecient imo. pretty much nobaody uses a udg filter anymore.

blknght

in the book i have it says a undergravel filter with a couple reverse powerheads help the skimmers work more efficiently

S

simm

naaa dont bother with the UGF. Even if your book says so. I have a skimmer on mine with 4" DSB and 150lbs of LR and mine skimmer puts out. Thats why you do a DSB is to ride the UGF. Plus they look ugly in the tank. Plenty of LS and LR will be suffeciant.