Need Help With Mushrooms

fishermon

I placed a rock with approx 15 2" diameter shrooms on it in tank about 3 months ago. They did great for 2 months, but this past month they have been slowly shrinking & losing color (they used to be an olive green color now they are white & pink).
I have been adding zooplex,phytoplex, & iodine doses daily ever since I purchased the rock. Water quality good. I have 4X65 PC lighting
I have had my tank for a year now & just recently started adding coralife to tank. I have star polyps doing great.
Any Suggestions.

chipmaker

I just discovered this today, but my shrroms will eat pellet feed if placed directly on the mouths,....Maybe they need a bit more nourishment or perhaps a bit less light. I never did have much faith in a lot of the liquid feeds for those and other inverts and after finidngout they eat pelleted feed and other stuff like pieces of shrimp and krill etc ,it just confirms my idea they need more than just the so called liquid feeds and light especially if the water is not rich with any or sufficient nutrients.
Of course this is all my wild

[hr]
theroy, but I am gonna stay with it and see what happens

wax32

Quit adding all that junk to the tank and try moving them into a lower light area of the tank.

mudplayerx

Dosing anything on a daily basis is probably overkill, especially iodine, zooplex, and phytoplex, which shrooms don't even need or use (the iodine corals need is generally provided by water changes alone). Definately don't dose anything that you don't have test kits for.
My guess is that your water is loaded with the things you are dosing, and your nitrates maybe high.
Do you have a skimmer? If so, isn't it going crazy with all of that dosing? :scared:

cathy joe

i started using combisan when i got a lot of mushrooms started. i did not follow directions and was dosing daily. i less than a month i started loosing mushrooms. come to find out i was loading the tank with iodine. the directions called for very little once a week. i had to do alot of water changes to get the water right again.

keonia

Check your phosphates, search my username and I just listed something similar to what your encountering.
I didn't even know I had to test for phosphates! My 1 or 2 shrooms are doing better now. I lost 3 that I was going to frag! Bummers.
I ran a phosphate, nitrate, nitrogen, ammonia pack in a HOB filter and did a good water change.
Go get a phosphate test kit too!

fishermon

thanks for the advice, my LFS told me to put all that stuff in everday
I'll do water changes & hope for the best
I do have a skimmer & the collection cup has been getting full alot faster
Do I not need to add any additives with my corals (all I have now are the mushroom polyps, star polyps, and xenia) I do have 2 anenomes they need the zooplex right????

wax32

Originally Posted by FISHERMON
I do have 2 anenomes they need the zooplex right????
Nope, as long as you have MH and keep your water in the proper range they will be fine.

mudplayerx

MH won't burn your shrooms as long as you keep them at the bottom of the tank or in some shade. Also, don't listen to your lfs at all. They make all of their money by selling "dry goods." They will tell you that an anemone needs phyto to live if it means selling a bottle of it to you.

himandher

you can also feed your anenome some squid, just put it on a feeder stick and put it in the tentacles and they USUALLY will just take it and eat it. In my experience if it is real big piece it may take it awhile to eat, but they usually do.